misfire cyl 1-3, coolant leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 00:11   #1 (permalink)

misfire cyl 1-3, coolant leak

i recently replaced the heater core after multiple unsuccessful flushes.

so when there was a small leak i saw some moisture near the heater core, and decided to bypass it again. refilled the coolant tank and went on with my day.

the next day, (yesterday) on a long drive from houston to dallas i got about 70 miles outside dallas and the temp guage started jumping up and coming back to normal. we stopped and noticed the tank was near empty. we refilled and resumed carefully. all was good till home.

today we went to luch just up the road and caught the needle jumping up again. pulled over immediately and again no coolant in the tank. we assumed it was due to a faulty coolant cap allowing the fluid to boil out. water/coolant mix everywhere, noticed mainly on the tank side of the bay, on top of the tank and splattered on the fire mat right above the belts. we replaced the reservoir cap and refilled after cooling off.

just went downstairs to check the levels and the coolant is back down to almost empty. a closer inspection of the entire coolant system, i see moisture along the passenger side of the radiator, still atop the reservoir, on the frame below the belts. water pump was dry.

thought of getting a uv dye to find the source, but with the belts splattering coolant mix everywhere i dunno that it will be clear to us where its coming from...

weird stuff:
1. coolant smells a bit like oil/gas... kinda....
2. not seeing a massive puddle under the car ever.
3. oil is NOT milky, and appears to be waterless

--> all of this comes on the heels of the other possibly unrelated issue of the misfire in cylinders 1,2,3.

we did a plug and wire change shortly before bypassing the heater core.
weird-- cylinder #1 old plug had NO ceramic.

immediately after plug and wire change we noticed a good amount of constant power, but a randomly timed stutter. the stutter is always there, but less intense in neutral or park, more intense when idling in drive, less intense idling in drive with the ac on.

we thought the fuel delivery might be a bit off considering the condition of the old cylinder 1 spark plug, so we got some fuel injector cleaner (lucas) and also had the fuel injectors cleaned at walmart under pressure. some new gumout products service they offer for 20 bucks.

after the injector service at walmart, there was a check engine light and we took it to autozone to have the codes pulled. we didnt get the printout, but the guy said the codes were misfires on 1, 2, and 3. we figured we didnt get the wires on just right, the back side of the engine is a turd to chage the wires on...

we checked and double checked the placement and order of the wires, replaced the new set with another new set. still no change. thought to look at the coils pack, but our o'reilly bill is getting outrageous for this week LOL

any help greatly appeciated
bacardiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 09:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: misfire cyl 1-3, coolant leak

early morning bump... anyone??
Old 04-07-2008, 15:21   #3 (permalink)

Had the same problem: loosing alot of coolant every other day. I removed the coolant reservoir and it had big cracks in it. I replaced the reservoir and still was loosing a couple of ounces of coolant every 4-5 days. It had a very rough start and then it ran fine . After the service light (all this in 10 days time) came on I took it to my mechanic who checked it out and said the 1 cly. was misfiring. Thinks the head gasket may have leaked coolant and when starting burned it off. Makes sense, instead of repairing the head gasket for about $1,200 I traded it in.

I also had issues with the heat (1999, who doesn't?), and was worried about having the core go at a cost of $1,000 to replace. I will never buy another ford and make sure my kids dont.

Too many issues with the heater, tranny and head gaskets.
Oh, I still have a 96 taurus LX (duratec 24v engine) with 120k that is running great after putting about $3,500 into it.
noeffort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40   #4 (permalink)

well the coolant tank has already been replaced, and its on an 00, so im fairly sure its not the problem however its worth a check.

we are concerned that the head gasket might be to blame. we are adamant on the do it yourself theory, but even he and i wont touch a head gasket.

the only thing that to me indicates its not a head gasket is the abundance of water in the engine bay. also the rate at which we loose the coolant. its not a few oz ever 4-5 days, its the tank emptying itself on a short trip.

we took a 5 min trip to taco bell last night after puttting some leak stop stuff in it and running it for 20 mins as reccomended. the reservoir cap BLEW OFF as we were getting to the parking lot and i could see there was coolant and water all over the ground. maybe the stop leak plugged the leak but now theres no out for the extra pressure that was escaping there??

the frame is soaked, the belts are soaked, the entire passenger side of the bay is soaked, and there is usually moisture on the side of the rad. last night it looked like the steam was traveling up the hose that comes off the front side of the reservoir, but i still couldnt see a source for it.

it seems its time to replace the radiator. im gonna try to flush it tonight and see if maybe there is blockage in the rad which caused the leak in the first place.

if not then its time to pull the radiator and replace it i guess...

if i could even make it to the carmax up the road without overheating i would just trade it in on a nice jetta or something... but i cant even get to taco bell. this car is getting ridiculously expensive
Old 04-08-2008, 12:48   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardiboi View Post
well the coolant tank has already been replaced, and its on an 00, so im fairly sure its not the problem however its worth a check.

we are concerned that the head gasket might be to blame. we are adamant on the do it yourself theory, but even he and i wont touch a head gasket.

the only thing that to me indicates its not a head gasket is the abundance of water in the engine bay. also the rate at which we loose the coolant. its not a few oz ever 4-5 days, its the tank emptying itself on a short trip.

we took a 5 min trip to taco bell last night after puttting some leak stop stuff in it and running it for 20 mins as reccomended. the reservoir cap BLEW OFF as we were getting to the parking lot and i could see there was coolant and water all over the ground. maybe the stop leak plugged the leak but now theres no out for the extra pressure that was escaping there??

the frame is soaked, the belts are soaked, the entire passenger side of the bay is soaked, and there is usually moisture on the side of the rad. last night it looked like the steam was traveling up the hose that comes off the front side of the reservoir, but i still couldnt see a source for it.

it seems its time to replace the radiator. im gonna try to flush it tonight and see if maybe there is blockage in the rad which caused the leak in the first place.

if not then its time to pull the radiator and replace it i guess...

if i could even make it to the carmax up the road without overheating i would just trade it in on a nice jetta or something... but i cant even get to taco bell. this car is getting ridiculously expensive
I wouldn't have put the stop leak in, chance it could clog up the heater core???

I feel the pain!!!! I went thru the same thing with repairs. Traded our 99 in for a 08 Hyundai Sonata, $3,000 rebates on them now. 09's are out and they want to move the 08 inventory. Elantra's are 2k off.
Did alot of research on a midsize car and the Hyundai is the best bang for the buck (warranty, gas mileage, ride, safety options). ..... I went thru the Costco auto program and it was a pleasant experience buying a car (did I say pleasant?) yes I did. Had the Sonata only a couple of days and I'm sleeping better and my wife is HAPPY! Really a neat car and a joy to drive..

Sorry to all the Ford guys here (I still have one). But ford engineers screwed the pooch on this one. I betcha they turned so many people away from fords they will never go back..... I's a shame because I really like/liked the taurus,
good ride, decent mileage for a v6 (avg. around 22 with our 99 and 20 with my 24v duratec 96).

Just hope I get a couple more years out of our 96 taurus with 120k on it.
noeffort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007