more bad news for my 2001 Taurus SE, running issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 22:00   #1 (permalink)

more bad news for my 2001 Taurus SE, running issue

Hi peeps further to my previous blog drove the car for over 50 miles to reset the onboard puter then took it for a smog and it was rejected an the check engine light is on again any help would be greatfully appreciated will attach previous blog incase you havent read about my problem

Hi Ford lovers my problem is /
I had to store the above vehicle was due to be overseas for 3months it ended up being 9 months (Las Vegas NV)
on returning replaced the battery with a new one car started fine drove it only 2 miles to my appartment the next day car turned over but didnt fire up so had it towed to nearest garage they said the fuel had gunked up with the heat so they emptied the tank replaced the fuel filter and the fule pump they got it goin so i re filled with fuel added 2 bottles of gunk off to help clean the fuel injectors and any bad fuel in the system but the car after driving for approx half a tank still missed and the check engine light came on so headed back to the garage they then said that no 1 cyl had no compression and said i needed a new motor (thats not an option i can afford) so I made a hurried call to a ford dealership they avised a squirt of automatic transmission fluid into the cylinder no1 i asked the garage to do this and it started to gain compression but still has a flat spot when at idol and powering off at lights starts fine but has a noticeable miss
Have already spent close to $1000 to get to this stage can anyone help me as i am not a mechanic so has anyone have any ideas as to solve my problem
Regards Bill
billjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: more bad news for my taurus

Is that really one sentence?????

What are the codes that set the MIL?
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 19:33   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: more bad news for my Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post
Is that really one sentence?????
No Doubt!!! Here, maybe I can straighten this out a bit... I got some time on my hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjack View Post
Hi peeps, further to my previous blog drove the car for over 50 miles to reset the onboard puter then took it for a smog and it was rejected. The check engine light is on again any help would be greatfully appreciated. Will attach previous blog in case you haven't read about my problem...

Hi Ford lovers,
My problem is I had to store the above vehicle. I was due to be overseas for 3 months, it ended up being 9 months!!! (Las Vegas NV)
On returning replaced the battery with a new one. Car started fine drove it only 2 miles to my appartment. The next day car turned over but didn't fire up so had it towed to nearest garage. They said the fuel had gunked up with the heat so they emptied the tank replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. They got it goin' so I Refilled with fuel. Added 2 bottles of gunk off to help clean the fuel injectors and any bad fuel in the system. But the car after driving for approx half a tank still missed and the check engine light came on. So I headed back to the garage they then said that # 1 cyl had no compression and said I needed a new motor (that's not an option I can afford) so I made a hurried call to a Ford dealership they advised a squirt of automatic transmission fluid into the cylinder #1. I asked the garage to do this and it started to gain compression but still has a flat spot when at idle, and powering off at lights. Starts fine but has a noticeable miss.
Have already spent close to $1000 to get to this stage, can anyone help me as I am not a mechanic, so has anyone have any ideas as to solve my problem???
Regards Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post
What are the codes that set the MIL?
I'd like to see what codes too. No compression on a cylinder can be caused by a multitude of things. You have to leakdown test it rather than compression test it. With the affected cylinder at TDC you hook up the tester to the cylinder and shop air. You compare the readings of the 2 gauges. Any more than 15% you have a problem. Listen for air leaking from the tailpipe, the air cleaner inlet tube, the oil filler. This will give a baseline of what could be wrong. Depending on where it's leaking from you will have to potentially go deep into the motor.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 23:04   #4 (permalink)

Re: more bad news for my 2001 Taurus SE, running issue

Hi thanks for the response
The garage didnt supply me the codes they said that the no1 piston had low compression and said it was caused by bad compression rings have never heard of a leakdown test what i cant understand is the car drove perfectly prior to storeing it for 9 months and after replacing a flat battery it started fine drove fine for a couple of miles then went to start it the next day and it wouldnt fire up the garage did get it going again. Im confused because the car now starts first time and even though it misses still seems to have power but must say when im parked and rev it it has a strong smell from the exhaust sorry to be vague but i have limited knowledge of engines
Old 08-16-2008, 15:02   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: more bad news for my 2001 Taurus SE, running issue

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the response.
The garage didn't supply me the codes. They said that the #1 piston had low compression and said it was caused by bad compression rings. I have never heard of a leakdown test. What I can't understand is the car drove perfectly prior to storing it for 9 months and after replacing a flat battery it started fine, drove fine for a couple of miles then went to start it the next day and it wouldn't fire up. The garage did get it going again. I'm confused, because the car now starts first time and even though it misses, it still seems to have power, but must say when I'm parked and rev it it has a strong smell from the exhaust. Sorry to be vague, but I have limited knowledge of engines.
Is it a rotten egg smell??? Most auto part stores like AutoZone will scan the codes for you either for free or for a small fee. If it is P0301, cylinder # 1 misfire then a leakdown test is in order, also check the spark plug for carbon tracking (black line on porcelin insulator) or an excessive gap. If the compression is down like the shops says it should show up on a leakdown test. Did they check #2 cylinders compression??? If a head gasket is starting to blow between cylinders both cylinders will read low compression. Is the car overheating at all??? Did they find any oil or coolant on the tip of the spark plug??? I gave the instructions for a leakdown test before so refer to that on what to check. If the leakdown test shows less than 15% leakage then I would start doubting the shop's asessment of bad rings. If the spark plug and wire is all right then the next step would be to swap fuel injectors between cylinders. Since it is cylinder # 1 you will have to remove the upper intake to get at the injectors. Swap #1 and #2 and see if the misfire moves to cylinder #2 (P0302). If it does then you have a bad injector.
I'd get the codes scanned at a parts store and go from there.
Old 08-16-2008, 22:47   #6 (permalink)

Thanx Tbird
Your feedback is appreciated,
I took the car to another garage and they too did a compression test but doubted it was a compression ring and thought it was a valve problem i will take it back there and request a leakdown test to eliminate a piston ring problem did take it to auto zone and seeing that the last place had reset the puter they couldnt test it till the check engine light came back on so if it does i will also go back to them to get the code
By the way it was harder to start this morning but once it got goin it seemed to keep starting
Thanks again and will keep u updated
Old 08-17-2008, 16:11   #7 (permalink)

Hi Again Tbird
Ok the check engine light came on again so went to Autozone and the puter gave a PO133 code.
Definition
HO25-11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1)
Explanation
the powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air /fuel ratio in the exhaust
Problem Causes
1 oxygen sensor defective
2fuel system running rich or lean check other codes first

so can an bad oxygen sensor cause the 0 compression on cylinder 1?????
Thanks Bill

Last edited by billjack; 08-17-2008 at 16:13. Reason: spelling
Old 08-17-2008, 16:51   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: more bad news for my 2001 Taurus SE, running issue

Quote:
Hi Again Tbird
Ok the check engine light came on again so went to Autozone and the puter gave a PO133 code.
Definition
HO25-11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1)
Explanation
the powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air /fuel ratio in the exhaust
Problem Causes
1 oxygen sensor defective
2fuel system running rich or lean check other codes first

so can an bad oxygen sensor cause the 0 compression on cylinder 1?????
Thanks Bill
No it can't. Low compression is an engine mechanical issue. That's the rear upstream O2 sensor. If it's missing because of a burnt exhaust valve or some other exhaust valve issue it may throw that code. It's because more unburned or incomplete burned fuel is entering the exhaust, causing the O2 sensor to stay rich instaed of switching rapidly. I'd see if it sets a misfire code first or get a firm determination on cylinder #1's issue and fix it accordingly before throwing an O2 sensor at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007