More horsepower?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 21:20   #1 (permalink)

More horsepower??

I have a 1999 Ford Taurus SE With a 3.0 Vulcan engine. Ford clocks it at having 155 Horsepower. My question is, can u get more horsepower out of it besides just replacing the Air Filter with a K&N? Would I have to get a chip or do drastic mods on it?? I would like 250 LOL MY friend and I wanna race so 250 would be nice LOL (Legal racing though)

THx
Guitaman132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 13:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: More horsepower??

well if you want more horse power get the racing chip and buy a cold air intake. that will get you to about 170-180hp. but otherwise get an SHO! THEN YOU WILL DEFINETLY BEAT HIM! lol but do a cold air intake, that helps alot.
94'whiteSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 13:28   #3 (permalink)

How much would that cost if I got a mechanic to install it 4 me??
Old 07-27-2006, 13:28   #4 (permalink)

What have u got in ur SHO? I love the looks of them but I unno if I could afford one
Old 07-27-2006, 13:57   #5 (permalink)

a chip and an intake will not get you 170-180 hp. It might get you 165 if you're lucky.

Most chips are crap, the only brand I recommend is diablosport.

The only way you're going to get close to 250 hp on your taurus is with nitrous.

IF you plan on racing your vulcan I highly recommend getting an aftermarket transmission cooler. Racing a taurus without one is transmission death within a few thousand miles.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 14:01   #6 (permalink)

Thanks 4 telling me before I raced!!! I would not like to have to buy a new tranny. Do u think it would be worth it to buy one or should I get some other car that would be suited for racing??

LOL Nitrous!! I'd have to mod the whole engine then!! would I not?
Old 07-27-2006, 22:25   #7 (permalink)

the stock engine can handle a 50 shot of nitrous safely.

It doesn't work like in those crappy movies.

Transmission coolers only cost like $50 and are worth it if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:17   #8 (permalink)

If you want that much more power out of a Vulcan, you're going to need Nitrous and or a turbo. And then with the stock engine internals, don't expect it to last long. If you want more than 1 horsepower per cubic inch, you need to seriously beef up the insides of the motor as well. Forged crank and rods, hyper or forged pistons. Lots of head porting and a bigger cam, High flowing intake and exhaust. Get ready to drop a LOT of money into it if you want it to be reliable. Better idea is to get a Duratec or SHO car.

To get the most out of a Vulcan without sacrificing reliability, just maintain it real well, put on a set of spiral core wires and double-plat plugs, keep the air filter and injectors clean, and maybe, maybe, a custom freer flowing exhaust. A muffler shop can probably install something from the cats back that uses 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch pipe. discard the resonator and replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow. I do think the stock 2" exhaust on Taurus is somewhat restrictive. No worries about leaning out the engine, the lean condition from reduced backpressure will be detected by the O2 sensors and then the ECU will command a higher duty cycle on the injectors to bring the ratio back into spec.
Tremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 21:43   #9 (permalink)

What is the stock Horsepower on the 99 SHO"s and the duratecs???
Old 08-04-2006, 16:52   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaman132
What is the stock Horsepower on the 99 SHO"s and the duratecs???
The '99 V8 SHO gets 235 hp and 230 lb-ft. of torque. That's stock.

My dad got a '99 SHO about a year ago, and he loves it (so do I ) It's fast, and trust me if you're gonna be racing your friend you want the SHO. Red-lining it, it dosn't shift into 2nd until you're going 50mph, and it get's there pretty fast, too!

Intake Design and Imporvement

This is an older website, but it's got a lot of good information about the SHOs. They say that dyno testing it gave them a 12-23 hp increase w/o an air filter, compared to w/ the stock filter. So if you get a high flow air filter, you could be looking at a good 8-10 hp increase, which would put you pretty close to your 250 hp goal.

btw, my dad bought his from a used car dealer for about 3,500. Not that much. It's in good shape, and runs great. It's had the tranny replaced, the cams re-welded, and we're getting readdy to have the brakes redone. not unusual for a used, 7-year old car, but well worth it.
crazyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007