Is my 03 alternator going to die? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

confused Is my 03 alternator going to die?

Hi, guys. I have a 03 Taurus SES with 50k. There is a noticeable humming noise suddenly coming under the hood last saturday. It seems to be from my alternator, which becomes louder when I gave more gas. (I havent got a chance to let the professional check yet, but I am 80% sure about this.)

Could the alternator or battery suddenly go dead? Is this a sign of death of the alternator or could it be other problems?

Before I could fix it this weekend, I have to drive this car on highway for 600 miles, is it safe to do so?

Thanks a lot,
ynwia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 23:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: Is my 03 alternator going to die?

You can have the alternator tested for free and quickly at a local auto parts store such as auto zone, although if it's an intermittant problem, it might test good. That's pretty low mileage for an alternator to to go bad. If it's going bad , you should see the headlights/dash lights getting dimmer or flickering at night or other electrical problems. Take a cell phone with you on your trip incase you break down. I would avoid the trip, if possible, if I didn't trust the car. Breaking down is never fun!
taurus guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:30   #3 (permalink)

Re: Is my 03 alternator going to die?

Thank you, taurus guy. I will bring it to AZ before the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus guy
You can have the alternator tested for free and quickly at a local auto parts store such as auto zone, although if it's an intermittant problem, it might test good. That's pretty low mileage for an alternator to to go bad. If it's going bad , you should see the headlights/dash lights getting dimmer or flickering at night or other electrical problems. Take a cell phone with you on your trip incase you break down. I would avoid the trip, if possible, if I didn't trust the car. Breaking down is never fun!
ynwia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007