Need Help with 1996 taurus gl rear spindle replacement. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 15:06   #1 (permalink)

Need Help with 1996 taurus gl rear spindle replacement.

Hey All,

Ok so my dad was hit the other day right on the rear tire....broke the spindle right in two...so far no other damage that I can see...but of course I need to change the Spindle...found one at salvage yard but have never replaced one..
Have been reading and looking for step by step instructions and cant seem to find a whole start to finish document...any help would be greatly appreciated....my Dad is on a fixed income and I am always broke...lol. So we will tackle it ourselves....I need to get him back on the road.

Anyone that could point me to a link with instructions or would be gracious enough to post them step by step would be highly appreciated also any special parts,tools,tricks I may need to know about.

Im always nervous when I have never done a repair and then I am forced to do it...don't want to make it worse.....

Thanks a million!
1996 Ford Taurus gl...Driver side rear spindle broken.
Cajunkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 15:44   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Need Help with 1996 taurus gl rear spindle replacement.

If it has disc brakes, remove rear disc brake caliper from rear disc brake adapter and hang out of way with a piece of wire. Remove rear disc brake rotor, wheel hub, rear wheel disc brake shield, and rear brake anti-lock sensor.

If it has drum brakes, remove brake drum and wheel hub. Remove four bolts retaining brake backing plate to the rear wheel spindle. Remove brake backing plate from rear wheel spindle and hang it out of way with a piece of wire.

Remove the suspension arm and bushing to rear wheel spindle bolts, washers and nuts.

Remove rear suspension sway bar nut and washer.

Remove retaining rear wheel spindle to shock absorber and remove rear wheel spindle from vehicle.

It ay have bent thesuspension arms that hold the lower part of the spindle in. I'd get those with the spindle, and have it aligned when you're done.

Check your local library, they might have a Chiltons or Haynes maual to refer to.
Old 12-07-2009, 18:48   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
If it has disc brakes, remove rear disc brake caliper from rear disc brake adapter and hang out of way with a piece of wire. Remove rear disc brake rotor, wheel hub, rear wheel disc brake shield, and rear brake anti-lock sensor.

If it has drum brakes, remove brake drum and wheel hub. Remove four bolts retaining brake backing plate to the rear wheel spindle. Remove brake backing plate from rear wheel spindle and hang it out of way with a piece of wire.

Remove the suspension arm and bushing to rear wheel spindle bolts, washers and nuts.

Remove rear suspension sway bar nut and washer.

Remove retaining rear wheel spindle to shock absorber and remove rear wheel spindle from vehicle.

It ay have bent thesuspension arms that hold the lower part of the spindle in. I'd get those with the spindle, and have it aligned when you're done.

Check your local library, they might have a Chiltons or Haynes maual to refer to.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:36   #4 (permalink)

If you were hit hard enought to break the rear spindle you had better check VERY carefully ALL the suspention parts and the torque boxs. The wish bone suspention is very weak. You may have also buckeled the floor support for the control arms. Also check the upper strutt mount inside the trunk and the body it connects to. If any of these parts are bent out of alignment your car is a total loss. Let's hope not but check it anyway. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007