Need Help Determining Tranny Problem 98 Sable - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 03:53   #1 (permalink)

Question Need Help Determining Tranny Problem 98 Sable

Hello,

It has been a long time I've posted in here...this concerns my daughter's 98 Mercury Sable V6 3.0 L with a tranny issue.

When she was driving yesterday, the car revved up and she realized she was not propelling forward.

She was able to put it in 1st gear and got it into a parking lot.

She had the car towed to a shop, I asked her to ask the mechanic to see if the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) went bad. They said it did but that replacing it would not fix the problem with the transmission not going into Drive or OverDrive.

The shop towed it to a transmission shop and the transmission shop indicated the transmission is bad.

Last week she had the check engine light on and had the code read. The code indicated a problem with the TPS (Throttle position sensor). Shortly afterward, the check engine light extinguished and she didn't worry about it because the light extinguished.

So to sum up, here's my question:

Could the TPS and/or VSS cause the transmission NOT to go into Drive or Overdrive but operate in 1st and Reverse?

Thanks,

Chris
kms250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 06:16   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Need Help Determining Tranny Problem 98 Sable

The TPS can cause several different symptoms. Most of the time it will allow the engine to run erratic at speed and RPM will jump all over the place making it seem as if the transmission downshifted one or two gears. I'm not to versed in the operation of the VSS, but I'd replace both sensors, have a transmission service done and hope for the best.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 21:27   #3 (permalink)

Thank you very much, this validated what my plan of action should be and hope for the best! I'll be sure to post the results when completed. Thanks so much!

Chris
Old 04-17-2009, 17:41   #4 (permalink)

I replaced the parts and unfortunately it did not help. Thanks for your help anyway :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007