New to Forum and have a question... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 15:13   #1 (permalink)

New to Forum and have a question...

I am new here because Last night, I bought a 1998 Taurus 24V DOHC 3.0 for my wife to use as a work car. Car ran great for the forty miles I drove it home with the exception of the turn signal switch being bad.
This morning, the car got hot just going across town ( about two miles). The dash light said "low coolant". I cooled it off and added anti-freeze, but it started running hot again.
I brought it home and changed the thermostat because I thought it was stuck in the closed position. Again, it got hot.
Then I noticed a radiator-type hose running from the back of the block into the top of the water pump. It was rubber on each end and steel in the middle. Near the back of the block, the hose was hot, but near the water pump, it was cool. The heater was not running warm at all.
I think it is a bad water pump. I have one on order.
My question, has anyone experienced anything similar? And do you concur with the diagnosis of water pump failure? And how tough is it to actually change this type of pump?
The last Ford water pump I changed was on a 351 Windsor and it was an all day job.
tonyb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 15:31   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: New to Forum and have a question...

Did you try bleeding cooling system in case of any air locks after changing thermostat ? Could also be head gasket which you could check / verify/ eliminate with a block test .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 17:21   #3 (permalink)

Yes. It was overheating before changing the thermostat. We also flushed the radiator and bled all air out of cooling system.
I agree that it could be a head gasket, but there is no mixing of oil and coolant, no liquid in the cylinders and no miss. Car runs fine. All cylinders are firing.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:33   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

| Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical | Water Pump | AutoZone.com
Old 02-10-2012, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Depends where the head gasket fails whether you get it mixing with the oil or not . A crude check to see if pump is working is to check coolant header tank while revving engine and see if water is circulating / pumping . Had a few BMW's and Audi's where it was common at one time for the water pump impeller to fail giving similar problems .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 15:57   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys. It was the water pump for sure. The plastic impeller was broken in three pieces and the pump was not circulating coolant.
Old 02-10-2012, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good diagnosis. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-10-2012, 20:03   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, Bert. The problem gave a very similar symptom to a blown head gasket and wanted to include it here so others may benefit from the discovery.
A blown head gasket will often cause pressurization of the cooling system that causes coolant to blow back into the recovery tank due to exhaust gases pressurizing the system. This was the same symptom I had.
In this case, the coolant hose exiting the rear(driver's side of engine) of the block and entering the top of the water pump is what allowed the diagnosis. Near the block, the hose was hot, but near the pump it was cool. Also, the heater did not warm up. Water in the block was boiling and backing up in the recovery tank causing a loss of coolant and over-pressurization of the coolant system. Water simply could not circulate through the entire system causing the cold heater and overheating and pressure.
The old pump had a plastic impeller that shattered and so it was not circulating. So it was NOT the head gasket. $43(for the part) and a case of beer and my son had it running again in two hours...because I did not want to spend all day in a cold garage...I am getting too old for that. Besides, he needed the practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007