New here... tune up question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 21:15   #1 (permalink)
Wow! A Mercury

New here... tune up question

Hello everybody

I introduced myself in the intro page, but for those who haven't seen it...
I am recently married a few months, and acquired a 2005 Mercury Sable GS, that belongs to my wife, so it's mine too..not a bad riding little car, I might add.

Anywho.. we've already tackled the whole stock tape deck change out, with that radio faceplate hvac control deal (which I let BestBuy go head and tackle that one..LOL) I'm still wondering why Ford would do all that silly amp unit deal in the trunk..and well.. it was very interesting to find out..none the less..

I consider myself a do-it yourselfer guy, and already did a break job, oil change.. etc.., but I'm thinkin new plugs and wires.. This is where I need your advice and or help....

Is there a trick, or simple way I could tackle the plugs at the firewall side?? Hoping not to have to remove the intake... and scrap taking it to a shop... Don't feel like getting financially raped.

BTW.. it's a Vulcan V6

Oh and I'll add a pic of it... (of course she would have the model that has the mysteriously flying off hub-caps.. oy!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800px-04-05_Mercury_Sable_GS_sedan.jpg (68.5 KB, 7 views)
MercDude05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 21:41   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: New here... tune up question

That is a nice looking car and you're right, they do drive nice. The Taurus and Sable seem like they're on rails and hold the road good.

It's real easy taking the top part of the manifold off to do the wires. 360csi will come in here and give you some good ideas on how.
Old 01-29-2012, 23:39   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I can't believe they put a tape deck in a 2005.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09   #4 (permalink)
Wow! A Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
I can't believe they put a tape deck in a 2005.
Yeah.. I know...right? LOL

I even put it for sale on craigslist just for kicks..and guess what, not ONE reply.. Go figure? hehe
Old 01-30-2012, 12:46   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Just an aside to the tape deck , never knew this till recently .

William (Bill) Powell Lear (June 26, 1902 – May 14, 1978) was an American inventor and businessman. He is best known for founding the Lear Jet Corporation, a manufacturer of business jets. He also invented the first car radio and developed the 8-track cartridge, an audio tape system which was widely used in the 1960s and 1970s.[1]
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 13:41   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

My opinion on the 8 Track tapes, Thank god someone invented the cassette
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:44   #7 (permalink)
canuck

8 track? Common guys. I still use my 8" floppy disc drive on my 486DX66 computer. Even CD's are old tech with music being fully digital now.

Now, the rear plugs are no easy task. If you have a good flex socket set, it won't be too difficult to access. Straight socket set will give you more trouble and you'll have to remove a few components. I know some folks find it easier to remove the wiper cowl, and that can give enough clearance depending on your tools to not have to remove the upper intake. This is why I prefer inline V engines, and why I love servicing my Durango R/T.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 19:32   #8 (permalink)
Wow! A Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
8 track? Common guys. I still use my 8" floppy disc drive on my 486DX66 computer. Even CD's are old tech with music being fully digital now.

Now, the rear plugs are no easy task. If you have a good flex socket set, it won't be too difficult to access. Straight socket set will give you more trouble and you'll have to remove a few components. I know some folks find it easier to remove the wiper cowl, and that can give enough clearance depending on your tools to not have to remove the upper intake. This is why I prefer inline V engines, and why I love servicing my Durango R/T.
Thanks for that tip, 360ci. I'm definately going to look into those options.. will keep a post on the outcome.

My wife's Sable threw the Misfire code twice within a few months, and with 90k on it, I have a sneaking suspicion I'll have to change out the wires and coil pack as well, the RPM's seem to flutter at idle... maybe due for this tune-up..

Thanks again!

(BTW- the whole being fully digital now..rocks! We put a CD player in the Sable..that has a AUX port for 3.5mm jack, and I just plug n play my Android.. sooooo much easier, and no skipping!!!! Wow.. it seems like yesterday when being able to burn your own CD's from free downloads on Napster was the Hottest thing since MTV)
Old 01-31-2012, 19:40   #9 (permalink)
canuck

In terms of new plugs, you buy what you want. I prefer NGK V power, they seem to run good in any application I've thrown them into from vehicles to small engines. I figure $2.50 or so per plug for up to 50K versus $8 a plug for 80K, is a better value. Harder metals add to the durability but don't help with mileage in most cases.

90K on original plugs? I hope not.... My '99 coil pack is still original. I'm on my third set of wires. You may want to check the idle air controller on the throttle body as well. They're cleanable in most cases. Replacement is about $40, you pay double at the dealer. Injector cleaners may help, along with seafoam before you change out the old plugs.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 19:52   #10 (permalink)
Wow! A Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post

90K on original plugs? I hope not.... My '99 coil pack is still original. I'm on my third set of wires. You may want to check the idle air controller on the throttle body as well. They're cleanable in most cases. Replacement is about $40, you pay double at the dealer. Injector cleaners may help, along with seafoam before you change out the old plugs.
You know.. I'm not too sure about the actual mileage on those plugs.. I do know, however, that she did get the car from her grandpa, and he was a die-hard "take it to the dealer" guy for whatever it needed, so they may be changed out already.. but I figure to change it out anyway, so I can keep account of what's up with the car. I'm planning on keeping this thing for a good while... don't need a car payment yet.

I'm thinking to run some injector cleaner too.... I'm soo used to my carburated truck, that I forget how sensitive those injectors are..especially with the watered down fuel we get here in California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007