New to the world of Taurus... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2001, 19:17   #1 (permalink)
Multi Car Member

Hey All!
I am new to Fwd and Tauruses and felt like doing a little cheap HP building.I currently drive a 91 Sable w/a
3.0l and think it could squeeze out a little more than it currently does.I have removed the air cleaner baffle,put in a K&N filter,and am running mandrel bent 2 1/2" exhaust w/a dynomax muffler.Nice,but not enough! I would appreciate any and all ideas on furthering this project .( Kinda concerned about playing w/the MAF and injection system.Do'nt wanna mess things up!) Thanks in advance for all the help.

TTYL
Carnut
carnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2001, 05:15   #2 (permalink)
LastSHO

I'm not really up on the Sable engines from that era. I'll think on it for a day or two.

I wouldn't worry about the MAF too much. I even shortened my intake by about 4 inches. Gave me more room under the hood.

Any type of underdrive pulleys available??? That might be a place to start.

Glad to have you aboard!
Old 03-12-2001, 06:40   #3 (permalink)
DemonNeno

Question

Actually, LastSHO, your MAF location makes a enormous difference, believe it or not! If you move your MAF too far/close, you'll disturb the accuracy of the MAF working with the throttle and fuel, thus leading to a screwed up Air/Fuel mixture. As for the mods on a Sable, it's pretty rough to answer since it's not a popular thing to do. Even the SHOs have few mod up parts and a smaller selection then anyone would imagine. SHO Shop in Hunnington Beach, CA is supposedly starting UDPs and some other mods for the Taurus/Sable. I'd look into that.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Neno & The '91 Dark SHO
Black on Mocha with black seats & console, Rod Shifter converted, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50, Inner fender air box removed, SHO Nut Reinforced Motor Mounts.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:19   #4 (permalink)
LastSHO

roll

Demon,

I moved my MAF several inches and haven't had any problems. Throttle response seems to have been increased and gas mileage, performance is if anything....better.

Are you talking about moving it more than just a few inches??? or several feet?

Just checking....
Old 03-21-2001, 14:22   #5 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

How do underdrive belt pulleys work????
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 19:46   #6 (permalink)
DemonNeno

Read

The difference in distance differs depending upon your MAF size, your TB to MAF elbow, and even your filter (Conical, Cold Air, or Panel)... There are some who move it a bit (maybe 2-3") and not feel a difference, but then there are those who have a 80MM MAF, Cold Air, and Run a 19# Elbow and get a crummy running car... I guess it totally matters on car setup and such situations. Moving it several feet would probably be a problem as well... a problem of finding a place to move it that is available (other than have it hanging out your wheel well! :)
Old 03-22-2001, 05:47   #7 (permalink)
LastSHO

Quote:
Originally posted by Marqman
How do underdrive belt pulleys work????
In a nutshell if you have a smaller pulley...then it slows down the accessories it runs. The V8SHO pulley made by ASP slows down the power steering, alternator and air conditioning. It runs these accessories at about 80% instead of 100%. Now the V8SHO has enough leeway to still have no problems. The power steering feels fine...even tightens it up a bit. AC still runs very strong and even at charging at 80% I've had no problems....

What this does...is free up horsepower from driving the accessories and lets the engine use it for more useful things.....like getting down the track in the 1/4.

Hope that made sense....only 3 hours sleep last night.
Old 03-22-2001, 06:49   #8 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Makes perfect sense, Thanks...
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007