Newbie Needs Advice on 2002 Taurus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 17:40   #1 (permalink)

Newbie Needs Advice on 2002 Taurus

Hello everyone.
I am a Ford Guy.
I have never owned a Taurus though.
I need a good reliable family sedan.
I have been looking at the Taurus.
I would prefer the 3.0 vulcan but I have come across a nice looking 3.0 24v.

What should I know about this engine and tranny in the 2002 SES?

The car has 77,000 miles and a 2 month old car fax.
Is advertised as EXCELLENT.
I am going to look at it tonight.

What engine issuse should I be aware of? Timing chain failiure?
I will be doing all my own mechanical work. (Except Tranny)
Please help a "Fox chassis" guy out! (All my fords are mustang/fairmont/t-bird/capri 302's)
Thanks,
Doug
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 19:16   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Newbie Needs Advice on 2002 Taurus

The Taurus is not really a bad car at all. I prefer the 3.0L Vulcan engine because of reliability and easier repairs, but the 24V is not too bad. It has lots of power and will be a decent engine. After time, these may develop engine noise and it's usually the timing chain guides.

Do not tow with it and keep up with regular maintenance and you will have a fine car!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 20:27   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

If you need a good reliable family sedan then look away from the Taurus. 2002 Ford Taurus TSBs -- [ CarComplaints.com ]
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 21:25   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

It seems the transmission, brakes & suspension don't hold up well at all.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:03   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Newbie Needs Advice on 2002 Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
The Taurus is not really a bad car at all. I prefer the 3.0L Vulcan engine because of reliability and easier repairs, but the 24V is not too bad. It has lots of power and will be a decent engine. After time, these may develop engine noise and it's usually the timing chain guides.

Do not tow with it and keep up with regular maintenance and you will have a fine car!
From my experience with my 2001 Taurus SEL w/a 3.0L Duratec, it's not that hard to maintain. Granted, doing spark plugs isn't that easy but once you get the R. cowl out of the way and set aside the coil pack, it isn't that hard either. When you have the cowl out of the way for the plugs you can replace the A/C filter while your at it-only $15 at AutoZone. The PCV valve is slightly hidden but doable. I didn't get a chance to do the water pump when I had it (it didn't go bad) but it's run off the intake cam on the front bank on the back of the engine. The replacement is more complicated than the 1996-2000 models, where the water pump is run off the serp. belt. Check under the P/S pump for leakage-common on Duratec models but if it is just seeping a little just keep the fluid topped off. Duratecs have far better power than the Vulcans. You won't be disappointed. As long as the trans. fluid has been changed you shouldn't have a problem with the trans. The front brake rotors are a sore spot but not bad to do. Tie rod ends are common, as well as sway bar links. Door lock actuator can go on these, the rears you have to drill out the push button bellcrank rivet and partially take out the latch, the fronts you can leave the latch in but it takes some skill to get it out and put it back in. There was an issue with the R. cowl leaking water into the heater box but otherwise, these are great cars. Things do go wrong with these cars, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER 5 YEAR OLD CAR WITH THE SAME MILEAGE.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 18:17   #6 (permalink)

2002 ford taurus sel spark plug blew out of cylinder common problem or manufacture defect
dave zoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007