no heat in my SHO - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 07:54   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation no heat in my SHO

i just baught a 91 SHO, i drove it home, which was only about 1 mile away and it was warmed upand in normal, hanging a little more towards the hot end and i drove it home and no heat was working, i sat in the drive way and let it keep blowing and it was just blowing out cold air. i checked the coolant level and it was low so i filled it up and let it run a little longer and still blew cold air and it kept moving towards hot, after a few minutes more it was on the line for hot, still blowing cold air, so i shut it off. the car was sitting for a month or so before i baught it so i dont know what to do. im new to the ford scene so im not really familiar with it yet. can anyone help me out with this so i can get it fixed and on the road? thanks if u want u can i-m me on aim, the names akuma3021
91sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 14:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: no heat in my SHO

well since no one is answering my question i called my mechanic and made an appointment to drop it off and have a new thermostat put in. anything else u guys can think of?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:31   #3 (permalink)

wow, what a friendly helpful bunch of people, dont all answer at once.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:51   #4 (permalink)

If it warmed up to normal and a little above, it does not sound like the termastat. I have read on a differant SHO site about the blend door for the heater, not had any problem with my 93 so I do not know about it myself, but others have had problems. If the trema sts does fix your problem look at the heater core, hoses, or the controls.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 19:44   #5 (permalink)

Are you having any leaks?????? Make sure the coolant level is filled to the appropriate line when the engine is cold.....not hot. Let the engine run and check for any leaks. Your coolant temp sensor could be wrong. I'd go ahead and pull it out and replace it. It's just a simple thermistor sending unit and really cheap. Don't buy it from ford, just pick it up from a local auto store. If the engine is still running hot, the thermostat could be stuck, but I doubt it. If the engine temp is normal, and you're still getting cold air when the heat is on....check the heater hoses running to the heater core. There will be two hoses, they should both be hot. If both are not hot, you have a clog in the hose or in the heater core.

Those hoses are pretty large in diameter and fairly hard to plug, so I would suspect a clog in the heater core. I had this in my 99 taurus a few weeks ago. If you suspect a clog in the heater core, simply pull the heater hoses off the core. (two heater hoses that run into the firewall) once their off, attach a normal garden hose to one side of the heater core. Try to flush it out. If there isn't a clog, then I would suspect a blend-door actuator problem or maybe a valve problem. I'm sure your car is different from mine. You best bet is to get a 'haynes' manual so you know where everything is, and start trouble-shooting. I would really suspect that your heater core is clogged. Hope this helps
montangrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 21:55   #6 (permalink)

it was a little past normal, but it went into hot. thanks montan that helps alot, the thermo is going in tommorow morning. if that dosent stop the problem i will check into the heater core stuff. do they make a haynes manual specific to the SHO model?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:58   #7 (permalink)
Unregistered

I'm pretty sure they do. If they don't, just pick up the haynes manual for a 91 taurus. the layout of the car is still basically the same. Everything with the heating and cooling simple is probably the exact same as a regular 3.0L taurus. If it is different, the manual should clear that up. Also, if you have extra money, you can buy the 'Chilton' manual for your car, and it is a lot more specific and detailed. They're pretty expensive, about 40 or 50 bucks though.

The haynes manual has been good enough for me for all my home repairs, and it's only 18 bucks or so.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:00   #8 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure they do, if they don't, then just pick up the manual for the regular 91 taurus. With the exception of the engine and some accessories, the SHO is basically the same exact car as a regular 3.0L taurus. The heating and cooling systems should be exactly the same. If there are differences though, the manual should detail them. Good luck!
montangrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:39   #9 (permalink)

I have not seen a manual just for the SHO, I have the one for the regular Taurus and it covers the SHO.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 19:55   #10 (permalink)
Unregistered

Sounds to me like it is just way low on coolant. very hard to get all the air out of the SHO motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007