noisy rear brakes on 93 Taurus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 20:40   #1 (permalink)

noisy rear brakes on 93 Taurus

Hi! I have a 93 Taurus 3.0 Flex with 4 wheel disc brakes. I replaced all the pads - calipers & rotors are fine, pads were just a bit thin. Now the rears keep riding on the rotors - but not all the time. THese are floating pads - not attached to anythingjust have a spring to hold them down in place. Any thoughts? Do i need to sand the caliper & mount where the pads ride to make them retract smoothly?

Thanks

Rich
shoeboxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: noisy rear brakes on 93 Taurus

There are two possible things either the pads are not installed correctly, and are sliding on the rotor or the dust shield is bent and causing it to hit.
Jeff Collision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Take it you Copperslip ( or equivalent ) greased all pad contact points on calliper and back of pads when replacing ? Check h/brake , emergency brake cable and linkage is moving freely also and not holding pads on slightly .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42   #4 (permalink)

Pads are in correctly - I took it apart again & made sure everything was right. I didn't use any lube - guess I need to go get something. Mechanically everything works right - nothng's hanging up. No dust shields on either side - would those help make the pads move better? I found if I applied the e-brake slightly, it would quiet them up....
Old 05-10-2013, 12:25   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Only grease the slide pins. If you start applying grease everywhere that the pads come in contact with the caliper, you'll end up with a mess when it gets hot not to mention risking contamination to your pads.

The pads are supposed to ride lightly on the rotors. I suspect that its just new pads that need to break in. I would drive it a bit longer and see if it goes away.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:32   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Coppergrease not affected by the heat .Just on the contact /sliding points not everywhere .Could be the new pads needing to bed in with the old discs and a few high spots.
Old 05-10-2013, 18:23   #7 (permalink)

Took it apart yet again - checked everythging again - including e-brqke cable return. Found a little kink just as the housing goes into the caliper. Was able to straighten the housing & get the cable to ride smoothly. seems to retract ok now, checking it on the stands. Drove it a couple miles with no noise - HOPE that solved it! Thanks guys for the tips!!

Rich
Old 05-11-2013, 01:43   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Result !! Thanks for update , hope that's the end of your troubles .
Old 05-11-2013, 21:25   #9 (permalink)

Thanks - hope so too! at least that takes care of the brake problem...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007