OBD Codes PLEASE HELP - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 18:07   #1 (permalink)

OBD Codes PLEASE HELP

I'm freaking out because I don't have a car to drive at the moment and I'm pretty much stranded at home...lol

I have a 1997 ford taurus wagon GL 3.0L V6. I bought the car in April this year and the service engine light was always solid but the car drove with no problems so I didn't have a problem with that. Recently the car's service engine light has started flashing at random times (It's done this 3 times now) and I have learned that flashing means STOP DRIVING so I now do not drive the car. I had a guy come out and read the OBD codes today for me and two codes showed up P0306 and P0443.

P0306 says cylinder misfire on cylinder 6
&
P0443 says Evaproative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on where to start or what part(s) to replace first? I don't have a huge budget for car repairs (at the moment I only have about $300-$400 set aside for this so I kind of need to know where to start.

Should I replace the plugs and wires first? What should I do to start...please don't say take it to a mechanic for a diagnostic because there goes my whole $400.00 budget just for someone to have a look...lol

Thanks!
Lor212009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 18:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: OBD Codes PLEASE HELP

So I'm told to replace my PCV valve, Replace spark plugs\wires and the ignition coil unit my car it's suppose to only have one ignition coil because I have an Overhead cam (something like that) does that sound like a place to start? If I replace all of this and I still have a misfire what can I replace next?
Old 10-22-2011, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The main missfire problem is probably the coil. If the plugs haven't been changed in a long time, I'd replace them too. You could pull a couple of easy plugs to see what they look like. How many miles are on it?

Here's some information on the P0443 code. OBD-II Trouble Code: P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit
Old 10-22-2011, 20:11   #4 (permalink)

there's 217K on the engine and I've only owned the car since April however I've put on 6k miles since then. I'd pull and change all the plugs myself but the back 3 are hard to get too so I think it's better if I'm going to change them I get the mechanic to do it all rather than do the front 3 myself and get them to do the back 3 right?

So you think it's only the coil? I'm sure the plugs and wires haven't been done in a long time... if I change the plugs wires and coil and the pcv valve should my engine light go off? If it doesn't what's the next things I should replace?

Also I noticed you posted a link for the obd code p0443 - should I replace the whole evap assembly then? hose,valve and flow sensor along with the solenoid and air can? (I have no clue if I'm making sense or not I just did a little reading online...lol I just need my car to get to school every day as at the moment I'm completely freaking out and stranded...lol) Or should I just replace the PCV valve and go from there? If I fix the misfire code and just leave the p0443 code alone will it hurt my car at all? Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by Lor212009; 10-22-2011 at 20:29. Reason: added a question...lol
Old 10-22-2011, 21:26   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The P0443 won't hurt the car but it amy only be a connection on one of the parts. The rear plugs are hard to get to but if the front ones check out okay, the rears were probably replaced then, too. The P0306 is the plug in the front of the car on the drivers side. If you use an ohm meter, the resistance in plug wires should be around 5,000 ohms per foot of length.
Old 10-22-2011, 23:49   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all your help :) I feel a little better now. I found the wires for $47.00 on sale for all 6 and the plugs are $7.00 a pair so $21 for the 6 of them I'm still looking at prices for the ignition coil and the pcv valve. I think I'll make an appointment with the $hop...lol for monday to have them do those repairs...hopefully that will settle at least the P0306 code. I'll have them do the PCV valve as well and see if that's causing the problem with the P0443 code...hopefully that's all that's wrong I would hate to do all those repairs and then be stuck with the engine misfiring again because it's something else *rolls eyes*

If all of those repairs don't clear the misfire code would you know what the problem would be or what the next parts I could look into repairing would be? As far as the misfire that is. :)

Also if the PCV valve doesn't fix the 443 error then would I have to replace the full assembly? (Hose, flow sensor and solenoid?)

Thanks so much for all your help it's put my mind a little bit more at ease :)

~Laura
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The P0306 should be cleared with those repairs. Check Rockauto for the parts. I don't believe the PCV won't do anything for the P0443. Read the link I posted earlier.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32   #8 (permalink)

Hi again,

I did read your link but it's quite confusing as I'm not so sure what needs to be replaced...lol

Is it the solenoid? The wiring harness? I'm sorry but I have no clue...lol

Old 10-23-2011, 13:43   #9 (permalink)

If you had the solid " engine light on " warning looked at and repaired in the first place
you probably would not have this flashing light problem. Find the list for all the electrical
voltages for all the test points in the trouble areas for your car's problems and test them.
It's in the manual. I guaranty half of the stuff you want to replace will not fix your problem
and that is money wasted. No offence.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 14:16   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
If you had the solid " engine light on " warning looked at and repaired in the first place
you probably would not have this flashing light problem. Find the list for all the electrical
voltages for all the test points in the trouble areas for your car's problems and test them.
It's in the manual. I guaranty half of the stuff you want to replace will not fix your problem
and that is money wasted. No offence.

Geez thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm a 23 year old student that has never worked on a car (aside from putting a new mast into the electric motor of the antenna) that can't afford a lot which is why I'm on these forums looking for some help. Otherwise if I had cash to blow I'd be at the dealership or some mechanic getting everything fixed on the car. I just don't have the cash so I came here to get some help and some ideas not to be upset even more by that comment...especially since I just went out and bought the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires this afternoon.

So what you are saying is that the P0443 code caused the p0306 code and that if I don't fix both I'll have the misfire happen again?!?! If that is the case can someone PLEASE point me in the direction of WHAT needs to be replaced to fix the P0443 code? That way I can buy the parts slowly and just not drive the car until I have everything fixed because I don't want to be in the same situation again any time soon.

At this point I'm very upset and confused now. I'm hoping that the P0443 code is not a serious code and that fixing the misfire will allow me to drive the car again.

and as far as the manual the car doesn't have one and my local pick and pull does not have one for the car. I'm sure Ford doesn't have a 1997 manual lying around so I'm kind of stuck on that point...

Thank-you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007