Ford Forums banner

Oh no! 1994 Taurus doesn't go into ANY gear!

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chipset 
#1 ·
All,

I am new to the forum but not new to Taurus. I drive a 1994 Taurus GL with the 3.0L overhead valve. It has 135,000 miles on it. It has been a great little car, and I bought it used. I have done the usual repairs, such as new CV joints, belts, plugs transmission fluid/filter, etc.
I went to the gym this morning, came back out started it up and put it in neutral to back down a very shallow grade. Once I was ready to move forward, I put it in D and the car went into gear and then seemed to take itself back out of gear. I tried to select each option, (D,R,N,P) and the car seemed to stay in neutral.
I have mis-selected automatic trannys before, and you usually hear a little grinding when you are in-between selections. I heard no such sound. The engine runs fine.
My guess, (and only a guess) is that it is the transmission control solenoid on the top of the transmission. I have had no warnings up to this point and took the thing on a 1,000 mile trip with my family through the mountains without any problems.
What could this be? The tranny fluid is not low or burnt out, and I have not had any shifting problems AT ALL to warn me. HELP!

#2 ·
:hit:

Hello and good day:

WOW This is a Kick in the Head....Hear is a article from And I bet your right...The guys here are great and they can help you more...(jwko,
Tbird, 360ci, Shoz, Fonz) I have never encounter this.

Transmission control unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A transmission control unit or TCU (AKA "Transmission Control Solenoid") is a device that controls modern electronic automatic transmissions. A TCU generally uses sensors from the vehicle as well as data provided by the Engine Control Unit to calculate how and when to change gears in the vehicle for optimum performance, fuel economy and shift quality.
Electronic automatic transmissions have been shifting from purely hydromechanical controls to electronic controls since the late 1980’s. Since then, development has been iterative and today designs exist from several stages of electronic automatic transmission control development. Transmission solenoids are a key component to these control units.
The evolution of the modern automatic transmission and the integration of electronic controls have allowed great progress in recent years. The modern automatic transmission is now able to achieve better fuel economy, reduced engine emissions, greater shift system reliability, improved shift feel, improved shift speed and improved vehicle handling. The immense range of programmability offered by a TCU allows the modern automatic transmission to be used with appropriate transmission characteristics for each application.
On some applications, the TCU and the ECU are combined into one unit, a Powertrain Control Module or PCM.

#4 ·
No seperate TCM on these cars, trans. is controlled by PCM. Sounds like a Forward clutch piston issue. But before you go for the trans. overhaul, have someone observe the trans. cable. make sure it's moving the lever on the trans. when you move the shift lever.

#7 ·
" Turns out that the front axles aren't engaging ". Well that is what the transmission is
supposed to do. The 93 - 94 is when they changed from the aluminum piston to the steel piston. Depends what production year you have. To have your trans. stop as you
describe something broke. Could be in the transmission or your front axle broke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.