OH #$%&$ P1744!!! Ideas?? HELP!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 20:37   #1 (permalink)

OH #$%&$ P1744!!! Ideas?? HELP!!!

Well, a not so funny thing happened on the war to the forum. Check engine light came on in my 99 Taurus which I tested to find a P1744 fault. Car seems to run fine without any symptoms but for all I know, it could be getting ready to pop its cork!

Anyway I measured the transmission fluid PROBABLY INCORRECTLY with the engine OFF! Fluid level looked fine, clean with no smell. But somehow I remember the fluid should be checked with the engine running so I repeated the measurement with it running. Hardly any fluid shown on the dip stick. Yes, I still have a small leak where the cooling lines enter and leave the transmission but I have a cooling kit to install that will solve the leak issue.

Could it be that low transmission fluid is causing the P1744 torque converter solenoid fault??? How should the fluid be measured?? What can I expect with this fault condition, should I think about getting another car..........and that I don't want to do.

Thanks--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: OH #$%&$ P1744!!! Ideas?? HELP!!!

The fluid should be checked with engine running and hot to the touch. If it's not very hot, it should be lower on the stick. Around the lower striped area. It's best to heck it when you can almost not touch the stick. When was th fluid and filter been changed?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24   #3 (permalink)

RTG--

Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions!!! Now at least I know how to check the oil and also know that the transmission is in need of oil!!! I should have known it was low because the thing has leaked for at least a couple of months.

Several months ago I posted a question about how to replace the oil fittings for the oil cooler tubes which I then replaced. Those things continue to leak even with the new fittings. I followed (I think it was Tbird's) advice from another post where he replaced the fittings with hose barbs along with an oil cooler. Well, I purchased the barbs, new hose and a cooler but they sit in my garage.

I have been too busy to put them in but that needs to be done soon. I hope to get to it after this football weekend.

Filters & oil! My brother put a junkyard transmission into the car just before giving it to me. He did a complete oil change along with a new filter at that time. Since, I have put about 45K on the car. The oil looks like new although good maintenance dictates replacement.

I have a quart of Castrol Mercon V I can add prior to purchasing more.

Again--

Thanks and I will see if the falut reappears.

Foggy
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Hope it 's going to be alright. If you want an owners manual, you can get one here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp
Old 02-05-2010, 09:06   #5 (permalink)

Thanks again Bert--

This site has a great group of knowledgeable contributors who provide valuable help!!!

Foggy
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30   #6 (permalink)

Is your vehicle early production 99 or late production ? There is a T.S.B. on that car.
Send it out. It could apply to your vehicle. 98-6-5 Dated 03-30-98. Don't want to sound like the bad guy but had the same problem. Told my wife a 1,000,000 times to check the transmission oil because it has a slow leak. How long does it take ? She ran it
1 1/2 lts low. I now have to rebuild the transmission. How long does it take to put in new oil fittings ? Anyway i think your in the same boat but have your vehicle checked
for the tsb anyway. good luck
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 17:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Is your vehicle early production 99 or late production ? There is a T.S.B. on that car.
Send it out. It could apply to your vehicle. 98-6-5 Dated 03-30-98. Don't want to sound like the bad guy but had the same problem. Told my wife a 1,000,000 times to check the transmission oil because it has a slow leak. How long does it take ? She ran it
1 1/2 lts low. I now have to rebuild the transmission. How long does it take to put in new oil fittings ? Anyway i think your in the same boat but have your vehicle checked
for the tsb anyway. good luck
Chip--

I haven't a clue when the car was manufactured. I am guessing that a TSB is related to a recall of some type but I doubt any recall would apply to a vehicle's transmission that was changed out with one from a junk yard because the original failed.

OIL LINES!!! No debate over that at all!!! YUP! I have to change them and I just might do it tomorrow. It sure would end the oil on my garage floor.

I put a quart of oil in the transmission today, let it heat up and found the oil level in the mid range of where its supposed to be with the engine running. Later I drove it a few miles but will put on many next week or so. I will be watching the "service engine" light carefully. If it does come back on with another P1744 fault I might take it to a transmission shop and get their input............hope that does not happen.

Foggy
Old 02-05-2010, 20:23   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

There should be a date code on the drivers side door sticker.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007