Oil and Tranny Oil Help & Advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:20   #1 (permalink)

Oil and Tranny Oil Help & Advice

What type of oil and filter should I buy for the 1995 Taurus with 160k? I am changing the oil for the first time myself and for once I get to choose my own brand.

Any other tips for a first timer?

&

Tranny fluid flushed once at 60k, I am now at 160k and going to drop the pan and change the fluid and install new filter...with a friend.

Do I just go to any car store and ask for a tranny filter for a Taurus? Is there a specific brand I should ask for?

And, what time of fluid should I buy?

Any other advice?

Thanks.
coopns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 15:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil and Tranny Oil Help & Advice

Go get yourself a NAPA filter #1516 (gold) or 21516 (silver) oil filter, as far as transmission filters, they are all pretty much the same, no real brand advantage, however while servicing filter you will only change about 4 quarts of trans fluid, I would still recommend having the system flushed once the service is complete (DONT forget to top off transmission or you may damage it), I preffer Ammco or Valvoline transmission fluids.
ShoNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:37   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Oil and Tranny Oil Help & Advice

If you have an Autozone in your area go buy a Motorcraft FL-400S oil filter- they are cheap and are as good as a Napa filter. For Oil use 5W20 oil. Ford changed the oil recommendation for these vehicles recently. As for your transmission fluid use MERCON V trans fluid of any brand- it is the sucessor to MERCON-which is also available at Autozone. As for a drain and refill you need to know which trans you have before you get the filter and gasket. Some 3.0L's came with a AX4N trans instead of the AX4S. There is a difference in pan gaskets-just check your trans. pan-The trans. type is stamped in big letters on the pan. If you have a 3.8L it will only have a AX4S. Go to Ford to get the trans filter and pan gasket. It is a reusable gasket which is far superior to the replacement cork gaskets you get at Napa or Autozone. The engine takes 4.5 Qt. and the trans takes 4-6 Qt. of fluid. Have Fun!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007