Oxygen Sensor Replacement - Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 20:31   #1 (permalink)

Oxygen Sensor Replacement - Problem

Okay so I got the new oxygen sensor and I tried installing it today but I ran into a problem. I couldnt reach it. I can physically touch it with my fingers but getting my tools in there to extract it is impossible. The AC System and Power Steering system blocks me from getting a good grip on the oxygen sensor. I have to take em out to get access to the sensor. But I have a few questions before I do.

1. Do I have to drain the fluid in the Power Steering Container before I remove the Power Steering tubing? It looks if I unscrew that tubing the liquid in the power steering will pour out.

2. If I remove the AC System tubing will the freon leak out?

3. How do I remove the AC System?

4. Can I remove the fan (listed in picture) and is it hard to do so?

5. Lastly The Oxygen Sensor shown in the photos (in the red circle) - Is that The Sensor before The Catalytic converter. Bank 1 Sensor 1 or is that sensor at the top of the picture

Thanks guys I appreciate it

One Weekend A Month. Two Weeks A Year.

No Deployment Overseas

http://www.statedefenseforce.com[/center]
JeanNYGUARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 08:32   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Oxygen Sensor Replacement - Problem

First, thank you for your service. Failed to mention that in a previous post.

Second, If you pull the hoses off the PS pump, you will need to catch the fluid.
If you pull the hoses off of the AC, you will lose the freon and have to pay a lot more to get it fixed.
You shouldn't need to pull anything except the leads off of the O2 sensor.

The one closest to the radiator should be bank 2 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 1 should be in a similar location near the fire wall on the exhaust manifold. If you follow the exhaust far enough, sensors 2 will be after the catalytic converters, bank 1 on passenger side, bank 2 on driver side.

Got to reading around and it look like the best angle of approach for your car is from below. If you have to put a socket on it, there's one designed for O2's that have a slot cut out for the wire. It's worth having. On the new sensor, apply a thin coating of antisieze to the threads, I recommend the copper type rather than the silver as it takes the higher heats better. Just remember to try to keep the antisieze off the probe.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 15:33   #3 (permalink)

You don't need to remove anything if you have the proper tools. They make 4 different
sockets for that application. Depends on what you have.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 17:28   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
First, thank you for your service. Failed to mention that in a previous post.
Thanks. I'm a State Defense Force soldier - I augment and assist The National Guard and US military forces

Quote:

Second, If you pull the hoses off the PS pump, you will need to catch the fluid.
If you pull the hoses off of the AC, you will lose the freon and have to pay a lot more to get it fixed.
You shouldn't need to pull anything except the leads off of the O2 sensor.
The problem is I can't reach the o2 sensor.... It's hard to get my hands in there. I need to take something out so I can get a good hold on the o2 leads.

Can't I just refill the freon after disconnecting the hose?

Quote:
The one closest to the radiator should be bank 2 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 1 should be in a similar location near the fire wall on the exhaust manifold. If you follow the exhaust far enough, sensors 2 will be after the catalytic converters, bank 1 on passenger side, bank 2 on driver side.
The one I have circled in red is bank 2 sensor 1? Is the one I have circled at the top of the picture bank 1 sensor 1?

Quote:
Got to reading around and it look like the best angle of approach for your car is from below. If you have to put a socket on it, there's one designed for O2's that have a slot cut out for the wire. It's worth having. On the new sensor, apply a thin coating of antisieze to the threads, I recommend the copper type rather than the silver as it takes the higher heats better. Just remember to try to keep the antisieze off the probe.
Antiseize off the probe? I'm sorry im new to fixing cars.

Thanks again cat skinner

No Deployment Overseas

Old 09-03-2012, 18:28   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
The problem is I can't reach the o2 sensor.... It's hard to get my hands in there. I need to take something out so I can get a good hold on the o2 leads.

Can't I just refill the freon after disconnecting the hose?
Yes you can, BUT, it needs to be captured in an evacuation/recovery machine. Against Federal law to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. Also once you open the HVAC system, you introduce air and moisture into the system. The system must be pulled into a deep vacuum to remove.

Can you not reach the o2 sensor from underneath?

*edit What if you removed the passenger wheel and plastic fender well? Its fairly easy to remove and opens up quite a bit of room. Something to consider.

**edit Another things you could do is remove the upper intake (plastic part) and you should have plenty of room.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Yes you can, BUT, it needs to be captured in an evacuation/recovery machine. Against Federal law to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere. Also once you open the HVAC system, you introduce air and moisture into the system. The system must be pulled into a deep vacuum to remove.
Thanks for the heads up. This saved my a$$ lol

Quote:
Can you not reach the o2 sensor from underneath?
After cat skinner 's post Im now confused which sensor is which. In my first photo (the one of the whole engine) I believed Bank 1 Sensor 1 was right above the 1st catalytic converter (the one where I circled in red). Cat Skinner's post got me thinking now it might be the one by the air intake (the one where i circled in orange). Where is Bank 1 Sensor 1?

No Deployment Overseas

Old 09-04-2012, 02:05   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Maybe this can help clarify it for you. I can't quite make out what you are showing in the picture up by the fire wall, but the sensor is going to be down relatively low.
BTW, HO2S = Heated Oxygen Sensor, 11 = Bank 1 Sensor 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-01-22_200904_HEGO_sensor_locations.jpg (57.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:59   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes Bank 1 Sensor 1 on a Taurus is on the backside of the engine, in the exhaust pipe/manifold before the converter.

Rule of thumb: Bank 1 is on the side of the engine with cylinder #1
Cylinder like CatSkinners illustration shows.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 15:04   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post
Thanks. I'm a State Defense Force soldier - I augment and assist The National Guard and US military forces

Antiseize off the probe? I'm sorry im new to fixing cars.

Thanks again cat skinner
Sorry didn't mean to bypass this, I know exactly what you do, sort of. I worked with the NYSNG with the Corps of Cadets.

Anyway, Antisieze is sort of a lubricant that helps minimize corrosion of the threaded parts and makes disassembly easier the next time you have to go into it. It comes in a silver and a copper, the copper is better at higher temps from my experience (I used to work in steam plants). The end of the sensor that goes into the exhaust manifold is actually the housing for the sensor, you'll see ports at the bottom of it. It should be protected enough so that getting of the antisieze on it shouldn't be a problem, but the antisieze is a petroleum base and will initially smoke when it heats up until the petroleum cooks off. By ensuring you keep it on the threads, this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:32   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes Bank 1 Sensor 1 on a Taurus is on the backside of the engine, in the exhaust pipe/manifold before the converter.

Rule of thumb: Bank 1 is on the side of the engine with cylinder #1
Cylinder like CatSkinners illustration shows.

ok. Now I see Bank 1 Sensor 1 is by the firewall. The problem is my father replaced that one with a new one recently. What I just realized after going through my order history on RockAuto is that he installed a downstream o2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 1. Could that be causing the problem?

No Deployment Overseas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007