Ford Forums banner

P0300,P0301,P0302,P0303, P0316-Taurus2005 Vulcan

8K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
aurus2005 Vulcan, almost 100k miles, rough idle, hard to accelerate, and hear like clicks from near the gas pedal when try to accelerate, the codes: P0300,P0301,P0302,P0303, P0316.
It looks like the problem popped up when it became cold. What's my first step to address this? Thx!

#2 ·
In case you didn't look them up, all are misfire, 300, random, 301-303, cylinders 1, 2 and 3, and 16 is at start. If the coils are original, they may be at the end of life. I recommend when replacing a coil, replace them all, since they pretty much share the same load and their life span is pretty much the same. Check plugs and wires, if they are original, or have been their for a while, they may be due. I would definitely start with pulling the plugs. Their condition can tell you if your just getting poor spark or if something else is causing the deterioration of your fire.

#4 ·
Not sure what could be causing the clicks, could be coincidental. Anything that I can think of from the throttle body that would show up in the plugs. Lean would throw a code, as well as rich, and rich would show up in plugs. Which plugs are you running?

#7 ·
Nothing, the spark signal is pretty much intertwined in a paired fashion:

At this stage, I'd be looking for coolant leak from the intake manifold, a mis-wiring, or wrong plugs. I've got 5.0 in my truck, cylinders 3 & 4 misfired like crazy and cylinder 2 occasionally, all on the same bank. In reality, all 6 of your cylinders could be misfiring, but the other bank is not as frequent so not throwing a code. If you know which brand and style plugs you have, might want to ask around and see if anyone else has a good or bad opinion for them in your application. In the mean time, look for signs of coolant loss and wiring issues. You can have the wires on the right plugs, but, due to induction from the wires they're next to, can cause a misfire (had that problem once, too)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.