Ford Forums banner

P0300, P3016 - What to try next?

9K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  DerbyDad03 
#1 ·
2005 Taurus Wagon with 159K throwing codes P0300 and P3016.

Plugs and wires changed, codes came back about a week later
Coil changed, codes came back about a week later.
Check for vacuum leaks was done by mechanic using carb cleaner, no apparent leaks found via that test.

My daughter has the car at college and thinks the light tends to come back on when it is really cold. I can't verify that since the car is 200 miles away.

What next?

The mechanic mentioned that there is a service bulletin to reprogram the computer, but that they don't do that. He not sure that's what it needs, but right now he is at a loss. The car will be going back to him next week so I'm looking for ideas/suggestions.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I know you said he checked for vac leaks but did he check on a cold engine? There is an o-ring on the back of the intake on the passenger side that is a common leak cold. Will leak cold and when warm the o-ring becomes pliable again and seals. It's a place to look.

#4 ·
Thanks. I'll mention that. I know that he has asked to keep the car overnight both times so that he could do a cold start to see how it ran, but I can't say for sure that he checked for vac leaks while cold. I'll ask for that detail when I call him.

This is a bit of a pain because I'm dealing with him from 200 miles away. He asks me about driveability (rough, etc) but I can't give him direct answers because I don't drive the car. Trying to get that specific type of information from a college kid (my daughter) isn't easy.

#5 ·
I discussed the Intake Manifold Runner Control gasket with the mechanic. He agreed that it could be the problem, although he wasn't able to get the engine to complain when he sprayed carb cleaner in that area, even when the engine was cold.

He did mention that because of the plastic parts, it's possible that there is a specific range of temperature that might cause a leak in that area and maybe it just wasn't in that range when he tested it.

He said he would change the gasket if I wanted him to as he was running out of options. I said to go ahead. He called me a little later and said that while the old gasket wasn't as supple as a new one, it certainly wasn't the worst he had seen. In any case, he changed it and reset the codes so we'll see how it goes.

He also mentioned that he had found a service bulletin for that engine that suggests flashing the ECU as a way to eliminate the codes if no other cause can be found. If the codes come back, it looks like the next move is a $100 visit to a dealer to have the ECU flashed.

#7 ·
Thank you for your offer. At the risk of having you steal the Taurus's identity and using it for nefarious purposes, here is the Social Security Number...errr...I mean, the VIN:

1FAHP58295A114099

:smile2:

BTW...this thread contains links to the TSB(s). How do you tell if they apply to a specific VIN?

P0300 and P0316 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

TSB's:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/kennyz1963/2009-06-11_200559_tsb06-10-02.pdf

Which supersedes:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=131019

#8 ·
Tsb is not a (applies to every vehicle) based on year. It is broken down to exact production dates,engine calibration, equipment. So while your car may fit the year,make and model it could not apply based on the fact the tsb applies to say a non flex fuel and yours is flex fuel. So instead of just spending the money for a reprogram it's easier to make sure it fits the tab first. I'll run it when I have a chance.

#11 ·
Thanks for your help. We're going to wait and see if the IMRC gasket solves the issue before I pay for the flash. My daughter says that the CEL light only comes on (after each reset) when it is really cold. Maybe we'll be lucky and spring will arrive before it has a chance to throw another code. :smile2:

Based on your reading of this thread, do you agree that we've exhausted all other possibilities at this point?

#16 ·
2 days after the CEL light came back on, she took the car in for an oil change. The light was on when she pulled in, off when she pulled out. She asked if they reset it and they said No.

It's now been about 1.5 weeks and the light is still off. I may go back to this --> :beerbottl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.