P0401 -- sensor issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 10:57   #1 (permalink)

P0401 -- sensor issue

To start off, my mechanic ability is somewhat limited - as is my experience. On a 1996 Taurus Duratek - 6, after getting this code I researched and found quite a bit of advice re repair. I pulled the EGR and, although dirty, it did function when applying vacuum. The sensor was described as a "metal rectangle on the left rear of the manifold" but the vacuum tube from the EGR goes to a plastic sensor (? - at least it has two vacuum tubes [one leading to the vacuum plug on the manifold - described next] and wires) located on the top of the manifold -- right side. It has a round top that spins, but does not appear to remove - about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. I was able to find that the master vacuum plug had loosened (apparently due to steam cleaning) and I will be replacing (it is rubber with three holes on the bottom) but in the short term I used a plastic tie to test - still getting code. Is the plastic item bolted to the manifold the sensor that might need replacing? Where to the wires leading to the sensor come from and do I need to follow them to some location on the engine? Should I replace the EGR? Any help would be appreciated.
00don is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2005, 15:42   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: P0401 -- sensor issue

The plastic one with the cap is the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid-this controls the operation of the EGR valve. (Its initials is EVR) The metal rectangle is the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR sensor. (DPFE) This is attached to on of the EGR tubes and senses EGR Flow. Its information is sent to the PCM which decides based on flow, Engine RPM, and O2 Sensor information how to operate the EVR to reduce NOx emissions by how much vacuum it feeds the EGR valve. Since you have limited ability I am going to go out on a limb and say you should replace both the DPFE and the EVR Sensor. However, this may not fix the problem. You may have a wiring issue from one or both items to the PCM, or in a RARE case you may have a bad PCM. You may also have a flow problem in the EGR tubes. Try the EVR and DPFE and see what happens.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 17:24   #3 (permalink)

Re: P0401 -- sensor issue

Thank you VERY much for the suggestion. I went by a Ford Dealer today and looked at a new DPFE sensor so I now know what to look for... I'm just not sure where! It appears to be somewhere under the throttle linkage (based on the diagram given me by the dealer/parts) but can you pinpoint it any better for me? Am I going to be able to reach it without heavy duty removal of other parts? By the way, the dealer also believes it is the DPFE and states that they have been selling many lately.

I figure I will try one part at at time and hope it fixes it.

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to just a little more as asked above.

Don
00don is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007