Parts need for '97 GL tranny cooler line replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 18:58   #1 (permalink)

Parts need for '97 GL tranny cooler line replacement

Hi all,

I've got a '97 GL 3.0L SOHC model with a tranny cooler line leaking on the steel section of the line. Its the lower line on the transmission.

I've already gotten the nut on the transmission lose, and removed the shroud under the radiator, so I'm pretty sure I can get the entire line out.

My question: the line has a nut with some kind of special connector to the steel line, and then the line is rubber to the radiator.

What parts do I replace? Does the nut and rubber come off the steel line? Is it all one piece? Do I need some special tool to get that nut off the line?

Thanks.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Parts need for '97 GL tranny cooler line replacement

Usually the steel line is flared. You might be able to slide the nut all the way back, if it will make it past any bends, but you will gain nothing. As far as what you need to replace, it depends where the line is leaking. If it is the 'smooth' part of the steel line,(such as where it is clamped to the frame somewhere), you could cut the steel line and just put on a longer piece of rubber hose. If it is just the hose leaking, replace just the hose. Best course of action would be to replace the entire line. If the line gives out on you, you may not only find yourself stranded, but your tranny could get toasted.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:46   #3 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Parts need for '97 GL tranny cooler line replacement

What I did is take the steel line out altogether and replaced them with 3/8" tranny cooler line. This allows much better flow. At the tranny I took the factory fitting out and used 1/4" mNPT x 3/8" brass hose barbs.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007