Phantom AC in '99 Taurus SE wagon........... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 17:31   #1 (permalink)

Phantom AC in '99 Taurus SE wagon...........

Hi folks!

We have a '99 Taurus SE wagon with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC). On hot days, after starting and going, with the control on auto and the temp set to say 74-76 degrees, the fan speed will ramp up as it should and the AC blows cold air - again, as it should. After maybe 15-20 minutes, the fan continues to blow but the AC "dies" and just blows air. There is a smell that accompanies this that I would call "a humid" smell.

If left alone, after some time, the AC comes back blowing cold air, but will stop again with no change in fan speed. And the interior cabin temp gets hot.

In July 2005 a dealer in Delaware witnessed the problem and replaced the EATC module. That seemed to fix it. but now the problem is back! Do I need to replace the module again? These things aren't cheap.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Dave
twigfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 13:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Phantom AC in '99 Taurus SE wagon...........

Could the evaporator coils be freezing up? Would this shut down the A/C and not the fan? Could the "humid" smell be fungus in the box?

Thanks again.
twigfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I would check the Cabin Air Filter
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:12   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Is the compressor clutch engaged when the humid smell and lack of cooling are going on? I would guess the shim needs removed from the clutch coil or the low pressure switch is bad. Assuming the freon pressures are OK.

If the clutch is not engaging when you want it to try tapping on the clutch while the car is running with a wooden stick. It the clutch pulls in it is the shim.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 19:30   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
I would check the Cabin Air Filter
I have an impressive Mazda Cabin filter but I think it doesn't affect the regulation of temperature in the cooling system. It is installed to assure that the air that circulates inside the cabin is clean and protect the inside from airborne hazards such as pollens. It should be something else...

...and looking for fun
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:03   #6 (permalink)
fordmech

cool Re: Phantom AC in '99 Taurus SE wagon...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigfarm
Hi folks!

We have a '99 Taurus SE wagon with Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC). On hot days, after starting and going, with the control on auto and the temp set to say 74-76 degrees, the fan speed will ramp up as it should and the AC blows cold air - again, as it should. After maybe 15-20 minutes, the fan continues to blow but the AC "dies" and just blows air. There is a smell that accompanies this that I would call "a humid" smell.

If left alone, after some time, the AC comes back blowing cold air, but will stop again with no change in fan speed. And the interior cabin temp gets hot.

In July 2005 a dealer in Delaware witnessed the problem and replaced the EATC module. That seemed to fix it. but now the problem is back! Do I need to replace the module again? These things aren't cheap.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Dave

Hi Dave
There are a number of problems besides the ones already mentioned that will give you the symptoms you describe, for example, the compressor could be overheating due to lack of oil and the thermal protection switch will turn it off until it cools down again, or it could be that you have too much pressure in your system due to a restriction, which will cause the hi-pressure switch to turn the compressor off until the pressure settles down. Even an overcharged system will give you these symptoms. I would hook up the pressure gauges and work my way from there. Hope this helps
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007