Please help...radio and power steering stop working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2005, 17:00   #1 (permalink)

Question Please help...radio and power steering stop working

Please if someone could help me...when I shift from park into drive the radio cuts out, then if I shift the car back into neutral the radio comes back on. Today while driving it, the power steering would cut in and out while making turns, also the door ajar light was blinking and clicking. I cannot afford to take this car into the shop and have them replace a million different things in high hopes that it works. If someone else has had this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. It's a 97 Taurus GL. The PS fluid is full, no leaks and no noises.
hoosays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2005, 15:32   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Please help...radio and power steering stop working

Sounds like either a wire shorting or a connector problem. How are the motor mounts?
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:30   #3 (permalink)

Did you ever find out what it was? Mine is doing exactly the same thing.

JohnF
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 17:16   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

anyone figure this out, as my radio is starting to do the same thing. cuts out when you go from park to drive passing reverse and then back from drive to park. seems when u go pass reverse it kicks the radio out. obviously its some wireing short, but any suggestions ?
Old 02-20-2006, 17:29   #5 (permalink)

ive got the same thing going on but its not the steering cutting out, yet. any suggestions to where to start on the short? someone said motor mounts? where do i find that and what is it?

thanks guys
wack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 13:18   #6 (permalink)

You need to install a new transmission (position) sensor switch, this will fix your power steering and radio issue.

As for the door light you need to take the door panel apart and use some wd-40 on the switch. Dirt and what not builds up on them and they stick after a while. I bought a couple of these before I realize how dumb it was to buy new ones, and since then I just squirt some wd-40 on them whenever they act up. It's a pain in the butt the first time you try to get to the switch but you'll get the process down. :)
suppesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 13:54   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosays
Please if someone could help me...when I shift from park into drive the radio cuts out, then if I shift the car back into neutral the radio comes back on. Today while driving it, the power steering would cut in and out while making turns, also the door ajar light was blinking and clicking. I cannot afford to take this car into the shop and have them replace a million different things in high hopes that it works. If someone else has had this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. It's a 97 Taurus GL. The PS fluid is full, no leaks and no noises.
YOUR PROBLEM IS YOUR TRAMISSION RANGE SENSOR.I HAVE A 96 TAURUS THAT WAS DOING THE SAME THING.CHANGED MY SENSOR AND LEFT THE BATTERY OFF FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS AND DROVE THE CAR FOR ABOUT 15 MIN AND EVERYTHING SEEMS ALLRIGHT.COST IS ABOUT $30 AND ABOUT 1 HOUR OF YOUR TIME.
nate95m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 13:57   #8 (permalink)

The Problem Is The Tranmission Range Sensor.i Have A 96 That Was Doing The Same Thing, Radio Cutting Out, No Power Steering,door Lights Have A Mind Of Their Own.i Changed It And I Seem To Have No More Problems
nate95m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007