purchasing a 2000 Taurus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32   #1 (permalink)

purchasing a 2000 Taurus

Hey All
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I make any mistakes
My daughter wants to purchase a 2000 Taurus. Its in very nice condition with 135,000 kilometers on it. Its a 3.0 V6 with 4 spd automatic.
I would like to know if there are any problems with this vehicle ie motor, trans, front end etc.
Would it be a good car to buy or should I tell her to stay away from it.
TIA
John
mousewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 07:21   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: purchasing a 2000 Taurus

Give it a good road test and body inspection , check any service history and repair receipts . This might help you ,

Used 2000-2006 Ford Taurus Reviews | Consumer Guide Auto

Ps.

Welcome to the forums .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

What 3.0 does it have. They used a 24valve all aluminum and a 12 valve cast iron motor. Both are very good. I own 2 of them. One has 218k miles and has been a great car. The other has about 140 and just as good. Regular maintenance and they are good cars. Few minor problems with the 12 valve motor. Like the front timing cover pits over time and need replaced and if cooling system gets to rusty will plug heater core. To me neither of wich are. A deal breaker.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 16:07   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I had a 01 with the 3.0 flex fuel 12v. Had one major issue, the transmission would overheat occasionally and spit fluid out of the vent hose. I replaced the coolant recovery tank that would seep and cause the radiator to run a little low. Not for sure if that was the cause of the overheating (more that likely was) as I traded the car off shortly after.

Other issues, ball joints, rotors, strut bearings, water pump, cam synchronizer assembly and the windshield has a slight leak around the seal. Also the fuel gauge stopped working right after the warranty ran out, which turned out to the the flex fuel module. I traded the car in before the 100,000 mile mark.

Overall wasn't a bad car, but I expected it to be problem free at least to the 100k mark.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007