Rear Suspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 21:51   #1 (permalink)

Question Rear Suspension

Hey i was just wondering i have a 96 taurus and i wanted to know how much it would cost to get a new suspension system put in my car just in the rear i was hoping this would make it look like a normal car in the back instead of making it slouch really low to the ground its like that on most of them and i was wondering if it could be the rear suspension or struts or w/e the shocks and crap is back there.....thanks !
afstud6900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2007, 22:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rear Suspension

My 2000 sags, and I am curious if airbags would be the trick. The only site I have checked them out on lists them, but for station wagons only. Not sure what the difference would be. They are easy to install. They slip inbetween the coils. Then all you do is run the lines.
RckyMtnTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 13:24   #3 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

As far as the '96 goes springs are around $50 each as well as the struts. You would also need a new strut mount at about $30 or so on each strut.

The 2000 ('96 too for that matter) if there are not too many miles on it you can jack the strut up in the knuckle cheap and easily. But this won't help when it's loaded with people or stuff in the trunk.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 22:10   #4 (permalink)

Question Re: Rear Suspension

well would too much mileage be 113,000????? i just dont understand why these cars sag in the back....whats up with this ?........(and ive only seen it on these taurus') but thanks for all the suggestions....ill probably end up getting new stuff installed ...maybe itll make the ride feel smoother too ?... will that raise up the back if i get new stuff?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud6900
Well would too much mileage be 113,000????? I just don't understand why these cars sag in the back....whats up with this ?........(and I"ve only seen it on these Taurus') but thanks for all the suggestions....I'll probably end up getting new stuff installed ...maybe it'll make the ride feel smoother too ?... Will that raise up the back if I get new stuff?
The 1996-2007 Taurus/Sable Sedans all look like they're sagging in the back. This is just how they ride.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 16:36   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

They are built like that but the springs don't age well. The +2000s have weaker springs than the 96-99s. You could use the Gen 3 springs to combat the SAS of the Taurus.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 20:58   #7 (permalink)

so if i would just buy new springs would that make it sit up higher?...cause even with a full tank of gas it sags....but what exactly would make it sit up higher ?...just springs or what ?...thanks for all the answers.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30   #8 (permalink)

Bought my '97 with 21K miles and it had the rear sag. I replaced the rear springs at 110,000 when I had new struts installed in front and rear. it did not improve the rear sag. I guess that's just the way they were built.

Realize what we are talking about here is visual sag. Yes it looks strange but doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

I'm no suspension expert, but if it was designed with a certain amount of visual sag, jacking it up with shims, air bags, incorrect springs, etc. might unnatually change the weight distribution and thereby adversely affect handling and braking.

I always get a kick out of seeing these young guys modding their ride by playing with the suspension. I wonder if they realize how much engineering goes into making sure a particular suspension setup is safe.

Be careful what you wish for.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44   #9 (permalink)

Question Re: Rear Suspension

thanks for that..it helps me understand but its just its UGLY...why would ford do that ?...and i mean the models before that dont have the sag..but whatever i was also thinking about replacing the suspension or w/e in it anyways..it seems to have a rough ride...what parts of it should i replace for a smooth ride?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afstud6900
it seems to have a rough ride...what parts of it should i replace for a smooth ride?
Smooth ride is a bit subjective. I always thought my '97 rode particularly smooth, but then again I've never owned very expensive cars, so what do I know.

At 113K I'd say you're overdue for struts, if not done before. I'm not sure what the normal lifespan of a spring is on these cars so I can't say whether you should replace or not. Tires and their inflation will always affect ride quality.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007