Ford Forums banner

Replacing a front hub on a 2002 taurus

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  05TaurSE 
#1 ·
Is there something I'm missing here, I can't see any way to get the top bolt out of the hub assy because the anti locks are in the way.Am I just being stupid or what.

#3 ·
Having done this kind of work for a living and also having to do one on my own car already, I can tell you that its not impossible...but you will need the right tools.

make sure the car is supported properly with stands, undo the brakes and remove the rotor. Undo the center axle nut and make sure the shaft can move within the hub. undo the back lower control arm nut and remove the bolt. undo the pinchbolt that secures the bottom of the strut to the spindle. Using a piece of wood, separate the strut from the spindle, then remove the halfshaft from the hub. You may have to unbolt the abs sensor from the spindle for more room to work. You will then see that ALL 3 bolts can be reached. Might need to use a hammer to persuede the hub out of the spindle, before putting the new unit in place, make sure all surfaces are clean...You could use a thin film of white lithium, or even some wheel brg grease around the outside of the new bearing to make sure the bearing sits evenly. install the bolts in a cross sequence a few turns at a time until the bearing is seated evenly, then final torque the bolts.

The installation is the reversal of removal (haha), be sure to use locktite blue and torque the 3 bolts to 70lbs, and the center axle nut to 175lbs, and brakepad bracket bolts to 70lbs, and lastly the caliper bolts to 26lbs. Then torque the wheel to 100lbs in a crosspattern to prevent brake rotor warpage, which these cars are notorius for...

Just my two cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.