Ford Forums banner

Rip off?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kiwi 3D 
#1 ·
Just took in the '97 Tauras(POS) b/c it would not run consitantly. I was told the fuel pump had low pressure,relay was bad,throttle body needed to be cleaned, and fuel filter needed to be changed. It also needed an air filter. All that came to $1000. Now I know the real problem is just the fuel pump. Why would all of this other stuff need to be done. Are they just trying to "sell" me repairs that are not needed? :booty:

#2 ·
ajone825 said:
Just took in the '97 Tauras(POS) b/c it would not run consitantly. I was told the fuel pump had low pressure,relay was bad,throttle body needed to be cleaned, and fuel filter needed to be changed. It also needed an air filter. All that came to $1000. Now I know the real problem is just the fuel pump. Why would all of this other stuff need to be done. Are they just trying to "sell" me repairs that are not needed? :booty:
bottle of fuel cleaner $10.00 , fuel pump $150 , filter $20.00 you decide the rest .

#3 ·
took the car into a new mechanic for a second opinion. Turns out it was the IAC and a very leaky intake manifold. Change both for about 1000 after parts and an injector cleaning and computer reprogram. It runs great now. I am glad that I did not get the fuel pump replaced. What a waste of money that would have been.
Should I go after the first shop to get my $80 back. has anyone else had a similar experience where you went to get a second opinion and the estimate was totaly different? What did you do about the original shop that was wrong? Did you get the courts involved or just let it go. I feel that I should do something.

#4 ·
If the fuel pump is working at all, the relay is good, unless it's strangely cutting off intemittantly. The relay acts like a switch to give power to the fuel pump. It's either off or on, just like a switch in your home to turn on a light. It sounds like they were trying to sell you things or really didn't know excatly what the problem was. It makes since to change the fuel filter at the same time you change the pump. A lot of mechanics would probably recommend that.

#5 ·
Definetely go back to the first place with all of your reciepts. They should refund your money. Otherwise, threaten to sue them.

#6 ·
Keep in mind they are running a bussiness, so yes they would more than likley try and up sell you things, always price around.

But in this instance it sounds like they had no idea what was wrong and just tried to cover all bases and hope it worked.

Rule of thumb, get at least 3 quotes, but you have agreed to let them diagnose the car so basicly you have auth them to spend some money.

For $80 i wouldnt worry about it, they will lose more money by you and your mates never using them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.