Ripped off by dealer or not? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 17:40   #1 (permalink)

Ripped off by dealer or not?

Have an 01 Taurus. Was charged a little over 320 dollars total to replace rear brake shoes,wheel cylinders and turn down drums.They also replaced a broken spring.
Anyone feel this was too much or is it the going rate? I will give more details a little later,was originally led to beleive the job would be 150 dollars for just the drums and shoes.Just looking for a little input here.

wfgreen
wfgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2007, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Ripped off by dealer or not?

In my opinion 150 bucks is too high just for shoes and resurfacing the drums. Im guessing somewhere in the range of 200-250 to do all.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:43   #3 (permalink)

Ok here is the story.Since my regular private mechanic is on vacation this week and had to get rid of his only employee besides himself it would probably be weeks before he could get to my daughter's car.
Called a local dealer this morning and they said they had an opening at 1 in the afternoon.I had work done there before so they looked my car up in their system and I told them that I needed oil change,tires rotated and back brakes.
When I got there they told me it would be 50 dollars to turn drums and 100 dollars for pads.(I didn't realize they said pads instead of shoes).After about an hour they informed me that they had made a mistake and that it would be a 100 dollars more because they gave me a price for disc brakes instead of shoes.
I told them that shoes don't cost that much more than pads. They said charge for shoes was 120 dollars.Then I asked them where the other 80 dollars difference was and they didn't have an answer.Noticed on the paper in her hand that they had wheel cylinders down with a price of 64 dollars.Asked her if the wheel cylinders were leaking and she said they always replace them when they do back brakes.
Since the car has 107,000 miles I figured that they might be original along with the shoes,she said there also would be a small charge for brake fluid so I agreed to the price figuring it would be 50 for the drums,120 for the shoes and 64 for the cylinders for a price of around 230 or 240 for the brakes.
When I got the bill the price for the brake work with tax was 369 dollars.Well I objected strongly and the service writer reduced the bill by a little under 50 dollars but I still felt it was too high.Appealed it to the service manager and his boss but it was no use.
Seems that when she gave me the price of 119.95 for shoes that was only for labor and didn't include 44 dollars for the cost of the shoes. Also the 64 dollar price for the cylinders was for the parts and didn't include 50 dollars labor for installation.
To top things off I had to wait an extra 2 hours for them to get the shoes from another dealer because they didn't have them in stock!!!
The bill was hard to figure out on the spot and I didn't really get it all figured out until I got home and had a chance to go over it.Had no choice but to pay the bill if I wanted to take the car home,but I definetly let them and all the customers in the area know that they would never see me in their dealership again.Figure the service writer was either incompetent or dishonest for quoting the wrong kind of brakes in the first place and then when I got price for the drum brakes they gave me the cost for labor on one part,and parts cost on the other.
If they had told me it would be over 350 dollars for the brake job I would have said forget it and went somewhere else.

wfgreen
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm looking at a flyer that Ford sent out to me 3 or 4 months back advertising all the things the Ford service dept can do for me & my vehicle.

Oil Change: $19.95 includes lube, filter & up to 5 qt's motorcraft oil + top off all fluids. $24.95 with tire rotation.

Brakes: $99.95 per axle includes pads/shoes and resurfacing rotors/drums. (other parts/labor not included)

I do agree that it was a good idea to replace the wheel cylinders but $120 for shoes and $64 for each cylinder is a total rip.

Here is what I found at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for your vehicle if you could have done it yourself. These are the best brakes in my opinion that money can buy.

WAGNER - Rear Premium Shoes

Item No: PAB599AR
$45.99 per Set
1 Per Vehicle
Limited lifetime warranty
THERMOQUIET
8 55/64" X 1 1/2"

Cheap Ones:
O'REILLY/BRAKEBEST - Rear Rebuilt Brake Shoes

Item No: 599
$14.99 per Set
1 Per Vehicle
EXC STATION WAGON
8.86" X 1.5"

O'REILLY/BRAKEBEST - Rear Left Wheel Cylinder

Item No: WC37857
$14.99 Each
1 Per Vehicle
1"

O'REILLY/BRAKEBEST - Rear Right Wheel Cylinder

Item No: WC37857
$14.99 Each
1 Per Vehicle
1"

Here is what drums would have cost if needed:
BRAKEBEST (BBR) - Rear Brake Drum

Item No: 81-125797
$29.99 Each
2 Per Vehicle
1 year limited warranty

Keep in mind different parts of the US different prices but that was a total rip.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:34   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm looking through various Ford Service specials throughout the US and I can't believe the prices on brake jobs. I'm proud to live in the middle of nowhere.

Service Specials Sanderson Ford Glendale AZ

Specials-Service APPLE FORD COLUMBIA MD

Service Specials GREENWAY FORD ORLANDO FL - Contact the Internet Department at 888-279-2762

Specials-Service ENCINITAS FORD Encinitas CA

Ford Car Service & Truck Service in Columbus, OH by Graham Ford Service Department
Old 08-07-2007, 13:32   #6 (permalink)

On the one in Arizona I see there is a 70 dollar difference between using genuine Ford replacement parts and cheaper if you use Motorcraft parts.Aren't they the same?
Also notice in the ads for 2 different dealers they have 99 dollar specials where they will replace the pads but it doesn't include machining drums or rotors.Well pads don't use drums.So a good case in point is do these particular specials include brake shoes or not?
The dealer I was at had the Premium Brake service 129.95 listed on their board
and I didn't see it until I went to pay the bill.When I mentioned the special on the board they said that didn't apply to brake shoes but I showed them where it said brake"linings" not pads and they reluctantly discounted the bill some when I pointed it out.
The wheel cylinders weren't 64 dollars each as you mentioned,that was the cost for both of them but there was still an additional 50 dollars labor to install them.
I realize that prices are higher at a dealer but I figure it shouldn't have cost more than 250 dollars plus tax for shoes,wheel cylinders, turning down drums with labor included in that price,it ended up being 50 dollars more.
Where I feel I was decieved was not being given the combined price of labor and parts when they told me what it would cost.

Thanx for researching all those dealership specials for me!!
I'll do some minor maintenance to the three vehicles in my family like air filters,wiper blades,headlights,broken side mirrors etc. but I definetly don't want to get involved in brake work.

wfgreen
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00   #7 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

You got ripped off! I work at a Ford Dealer and we never replace a wheel cylinder unless it leaks. If it does leak or is seized, then we must sell it to the customer first before doing additional repairs.

It only takes one dealership to make the rest of us look bad.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 22:34   #8 (permalink)

Thanx for the reply Johnny.I was charged 114 dollars for the wheel cylinders,64 dollars for the parts and 50 dollars for labor.
Any idea what your dealership charges for wheel cylinders?

wfgreen
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12   #9 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

The part is about $30.00 each and we charge almost 1hr labor, but if we are already doing a brake job, then we only get 1/2 hr labor.

Aftermarket wheel cylinders are like $10.00 each.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 21:43   #10 (permalink)

Appreciate you getting back to me Johnny.Sounds like the costs are about the same as your dealership.I think the labor rate is 85 an hour at the one I went to.
Now as to whether they were leaking or really needed to be replaced I guess I'll never really know---------
To add to the misery I also had an oil change done at this time and today when I popped the hood the dipstick was sticking up about 2 inches from being seated,was just laying there in the tube without having been pushed down!!

wfgreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007