RWD SHO? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 14:25   #1 (permalink)

RWD SHO?

Im looking to do a transplant of an SHO motor into a RWD configuration. i have a motor already, but obviously the stock transaxle wouldnt be anygood to meeven if it wasnt a write off. So i am looking for a transmission (preferably a stick shift), to bolt on the back. Will a M5OD R1 or R2 work if not, what will? What do i need to do to make the SHO stand alone? any help would be great.
TheVancen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: RWD SHO?

Which year?
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 20:32   #3 (permalink)
canuck

That's one hulluva project, regardless which generation the engine comes from. Earlier cars (V6 SHO) had manual transmissions available, although it's a transverse design. The later V8 from Yamaha isn't much better than the Duratec V6 in terms of useable power and really wouldn't be worth the hassle, let alone thought, to back it with a manual transmission. Engine mounts and so on will also be different. Tuning is of course another concern but you can ask these guys, as they specialize in manual transmissions and made several custom conversion kits available for many domestic models. One of which is the Dakota R/T. They produced a 5 speed manual conversion kit to replace the 4sp auto. Tremec | 5-speed | 6-speed transmission | classic car restoration | hydraulic clutch kit | Keisler Engineering - KeislerAuto.com hope that lead will help...
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 22:47   #4 (permalink)

the idea is to use a 3.0L out of a basket case 92 Taurus, and thanks for the link thats a big help. Oh, and the whole thing will eventually find its way between the shock towers of a 1976 Ford Capri (german import, not the fox body capri). I know this wont be a short engine swap, but thats the idea. My old man did a EFI 5.0L swap into a Euro capri a while back and i want to do a similar project. Speaking of which, any ideas on the computer? Carboration maybe?

Last edited by TheVancen; 08-25-2012 at 22:52. Reason: To be more specific
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

In hopes of making your life easier, the Ranger of that generation used a Mazda M50D-R1, assuming they used common patterns, I'd think it mount up.

I don't know how much money and effort you want to throw at this, but how about making it a supercharged EFI?
Old 08-26-2012, 20:38   #6 (permalink)

I have heard that the M5ODR1 would bolt on, the SHO has the same pattern as the Vulcan V6. Would the clutch from the Ranger work? As for the Supercharger, it may be an option for later down the road but any ideas on how to make the EFI work in a forty year old car?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:26   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVancen View Post
I have heard that the M5ODR1 would bolt on, the SHO has the same pattern as the Vulcan V6. Would the clutch from the Ranger work? As for the Supercharger, it may be an option for later down the road but any ideas on how to make the EFI work in a forty year old car?
The clutch is all in the transmission, you may have to make a few small mods to mount the actuation devices, easiest would be to go with a hydraulic clutch.

As far as EFI, my truck is a 73 with a 91 mustang engine with a few mods. The PCM receives the 12V it needs from the original electrical system and controls the engine the way it would in a 91 Mustang. AutoZone should have the pinout for the PCM online, it's just a matter of a few wires to supply the SHO engine harness.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38   #8 (permalink)

so power it from a hot on the original car and cut out what i dont need from the Taurus engine harness? Also what you said about the supercharger, i assume you mean the one off of the 3.8l Supercoupe T-Bird?
Old 08-29-2012, 14:50   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

That's a viable option, don't know if the SC will fit the 3.0, may have to either change the engine or go with an after market SC.

For my 5.0 in my '73, I've been hunting down the remaining sensors/ solenoids so that I can get rid of the nuisance diagnostics. My harness has a check engine light that I haven't gotten to go away, yet, so I tossed the bulb in the glove box, for now. Without things like the EGR, you may experience a rough idle and I drive mine around town. I didn't want it to be a weekend warrior so I've been tweeking it to get a balance of power and comfort. I recommend you find a pinout diagram for your engine, it'll make life a lot easier.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47   #10 (permalink)

so i should probably look for a complete donor car to pull off all the sensors then. as for the super charger i did some digging and th 3.8 shares the basic head design with the 3.0 SHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007