Sable Vacuum leak, P430 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10   #1 (permalink)

Sable Vacuum leak, P430

Hi guys, first post here. I was wondering if there are any vacuum diagrams available online. I've got a '96 Sable 3.0 and pulling a 430 code. I know this can also mean a bad CAT, but I can hear the leak (just can't SEE it). It's not affecting performance or mileage, I just would like to take care of it before it goes in for PA emissions.

Thanks
ZackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 09:20   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Sable Vacuum leak, P430

If there is an exhaust leak before or through an O2 Sensor, this code can set. Also, a bad downstream O2 sensor can cause this. But you have two upstreams abd two downstreams on your car. If you had a scan tool with a full data display you could watch the upstream and downstream O2 sensors work. You should see the upstreams switching continuosly and the downstreams switching rarely. If the downstreams are switching the same amount as the upstreams you either have a bad O2 sensor or the cat is bad. Try the downstream O2 sensor first. If they still switch the wrong way then you have a bad cat. If the switch the right way then you're all set. Are you sure its a vacuum leak??? If it has a plugged up cat it will cause a loud hiss similar to a vacuum leak and the car will run poorly or stall. This is from the excessive backpressure.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: Sable Vacuum leak, P430

I don't have a full scan tool, so I can't be completely sure of yet. It isn't having an effect on performance, which kind of makes me think it is a vacuum leak.
ZackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Sable Vacuum leak, P430

Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0430 and P0431 indicate that bank 2 catalyst system efficiency is below the acceptable threshold.

Internal deterioration of a catalytic converter is usually caused by abnormal engine operation upstream of the catalyst. Events that can produce higher than normal temperatures in the catalyst are particularly suspect. For example, misfiring can cause higher than normal catalyst operating temperatures.

Possible causes:

Use of leaded fuel.
Oil contamination.
Cylinder misfiring.
Damaged HO2S.
Damaged ECT sensor.
Downstream HO2S wires improperly connected.
Fuel pressure too high.
Damaged exhaust system pipe.
Damaged exhaust manifold.
Damaged muffler/tailpipe assembly.
Damaged catalytic converter
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007