slight bang when push back on accelerator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 22:17   #1 (permalink)

slight bang when push back on accelerator

I have again a 97 Mercury Sable with the 3.0 SOHV engine. Automatic Trans.
When I bought the car about 3 years ago I had one of the engine mounts replaced that was busted.... The reason I thought it was busted was because when I would be in traffic and would take my foot all the way off the gas, and then start to accelerate their would be like a SLIGHT bang. Nothing that you can hear, just something that you feel. I brought it back to the shop afterwards and they said that the one they put on was a bad one and they ordered another one and put another one on, and test drove it and said its fine now. I KNOW they replaced it cause they gave me the old one.... PLUS our mechanic is an OLD family friend.. I got into the car and I still feel it, so is this something that sables/taurus's have..??? We used to own another Taurus a 1993 model, but it was some time ago, and I cant remember if it did this too, or not... I havent really thougt too much of it since it HAD to have done this when our mechanic drove it, and he said everything felt fine...

Please respond, and if you think it might be another engine mount, or transmission mount how can I look to make SURE myself that one is busted or not..???

Thanks in advance:
Wesley Moore
chaos024@tconline.net
wes024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: slight bang when push back on accelerator

Did it make the sound before you had the motor mount replaced? If anything you may want to check the exhaust system and see if it is lose in any place. THe exhaust system should be very tight all the way back to the tips. If it is the way its supposed to be then you should be able to grab the pipe and try to shale it.....it will not move. Check that and maybe look and see if the stablizer bar end mounts are busted. WHen you look at these make sure to look at the top and bottom bolts. The bottom bolts are the ones that break off most of the time. When they do it sounds like metal hitting metal when you take off or make a turn...and hit the occasional bump in the road.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:00   #3 (permalink)

Replace your Torque Converter
skyedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:12   #4 (permalink)
Taurus Member

cool Re: slight bang when push back on accelerator

How many motor mounts were replaced?
There are three mounts on it. Another one may have been bad too.
And this will cause the one replaced to go bad again
aford4you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 17:31   #5 (permalink)
Ford man since 1980-27yrs

I was just thinking maybe its the cv joint gone bad?Something to look at.I had that problem in my 95 sable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes024
I have again a 97 Mercury Sable with the 3.0 SOHV engine. Automatic Trans.
When I bought the car about 3 years ago I had one of the engine mounts replaced that was busted.... The reason I thought it was busted was because when I would be in traffic and would take my foot all the way off the gas, and then start to accelerate their would be like a SLIGHT bang. Nothing that you can hear, just something that you feel. I brought it back to the shop afterwards and they said that the one they put on was a bad one and they ordered another one and put another one on, and test drove it and said its fine now. I KNOW they replaced it cause they gave me the old one.... PLUS our mechanic is an OLD family friend.. I got into the car and I still feel it, so is this something that sables/taurus's have..??? We used to own another Taurus a 1993 model, but it was some time ago, and I cant remember if it did this too, or not... I havent really thougt too much of it since it HAD to have done this when our mechanic drove it, and he said everything felt fine...

Please respond, and if you think it might be another engine mount, or transmission mount how can I look to make SURE myself that one is busted or not..???

Thanks in advance:
Wesley Moore
chaos024@tconline.net
extremetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 14:57   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: slight bang when push back on accelerator

My 1990 Taurus with a 3.0L Vulcan did this too. The torque converter theory sounds reasonable although I never tried to fix the problem. A bad engine mount would bang on initial acceleration and not just coming off and on the accelerator.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:23   #7 (permalink)

O_O I just noticed this problem on my 1996 with the 3.0 Duratec. I figured it was just the new rebuilt transmission on its way out and I would get another one under warranty anyway. I was off the gas, then when I went back on it, it kinda jerked. Almost as if the transmission slipped and engaged suddenly...although the engine never freewheeled when it felt like it was "slipping" and there was no sudden RPM decrease when I felt the jerk or "bang."

I might have a CV joint on its way out though...
modenaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007