Slippery Intake... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2004, 16:59   #1 (permalink)

Question Slippery Intake...

i just bought a 1989 SHO with about 70,000 on it, very clean car... never used a drop of oil, no leaks, went 3000 miles without loosing a drop. My girlfriend started the car to move it out of our front yard the other day and a big poof of smoke came out... i figured ok time to do valve seals. However, we were slow at work the other day so I figured id pull it in and pull the timing belt cover to see if the belt had been chaged. Well when I pulled the passenger side crossover plenum off I found that the front side plenum had puddles of oil in it! I am not very familiar with these motors yet, this is the first one ive had. I checked the oil before i changed it and it was a quart low. I see that it has no pcv valve, just a vent tube. The only thing I can figure is that being that I am pretty rough on this thing (its sees 7200 every chance i get :-) the only thing I can figure is that oil is fogging off the valve train and being sucked through the vent, being that the vent goes into the same plenum that was wet... Make sense? An I crazy? Some one let me know...

Thanx
John
ShoNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 11:49   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Slippery Intake...

That is normal. The condensation of the PCV gasses forms the oil puddles and will turn to carbon on the valves and lower intake.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 18:31   #3 (permalink)

How much of that carbon will actually turn into deposits? Should I run an induction cleaner periodicly to reduce deposits or will it burn/flake off on its own?
ShoNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 18:54   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

I don't think the intake system cleaners do much good. You would be much better off to remove the intake and do it by hand with Berryman's or non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007