Smell of Gas & Suddenly Have Poor Gas Mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 20:07   #1 (permalink)
Cam Mack

Smell of Gas & Suddenly Have Poor Gas Mileage

Hi,

I have a 1995 Ford Taurus that has 260K miles. I have replaced everything on this car within the last two years, not to mention the standard maintenance and repairs: filter, brakes, oils, etc.

On the highway I normally get between 21-28 miles to the gallon. I had the O-rings replaced on the injectors in January this year while having some other worn parts replaced about the engine. The only original part related to the fuel is the fuel pump which I can hear buzzing every morning. Fuel lines near the engne were replaced about 3-4 years ago. All sensors and filters are replaced. Now, there is still an ocassional smell of gasoline, so I changed the tank cap. It is not Ford brand and seems to slip, not as tight as the original. It may be because I am so picky.

Anyhow, this weekend, I noticed the gasoline smell more pronounced and the gas mileage on a trip out of town went down to about 18-20 mpg. It cranks quickly, but the difference is the smell of gasoline when I get out of it after turning it off or if it runs a little bit. It smels like it is under the hood for sure. I thought perhaps the fuel pressure regulator could be the culprit, but I suspect it could be the rubber fuel lines again, they are so slender.

Any ideas that may not costs me much right now? I just had an accident with new brakes failing and had to pay a chunk of change to get my car out of the shop last month. Anyone's help would be appreciated. I'll never get out of the car what I have invested, so I am stuck with it. It drives really good, but things keep popping up that are hard for mechanics to easily solve. I thought I'd try it myself frist, before getting duped again.

Thanks a ton!!

Cam Mack
cammac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 18:32   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Smell of Gas & Suddenly Have Poor Gas Mileage

It could be leaking anywhere in the fuel system. This is one of those things you will have to find on your own.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 14:20   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammac View Post
Hi,

I have a 1995 Ford Taurus that has 260K miles. I have replaced everything on this car within the last two years, not to mention the standard maintenance and repairs: filter, brakes, oils, etc.

On the highway I normally get between 21-28 miles to the gallon. I had the O-rings replaced on the injectors in January this year while having some other worn parts replaced about the engine. The only original part related to the fuel is the fuel pump which I can hear buzzing every morning. Fuel lines near the engne were replaced about 3-4 years ago. All sensors and filters are replaced. Now, there is still an ocassional smell of gasoline, so I changed the tank cap. It is not Ford brand and seems to slip, not as tight as the original. It may be because I am so picky.

Anyhow, this weekend, I noticed the gasoline smell more pronounced and the gas mileage on a trip out of town went down to about 18-20 mpg. It cranks quickly, but the difference is the smell of gasoline when I get out of it after turning it off or if it runs a little bit. It smels like it is under the hood for sure. I thought perhaps the fuel pressure regulator could be the culprit, but I suspect it could be the rubber fuel lines again, they are so slender.

Any ideas that may not costs me much right now? I just had an accident with new brakes failing and had to pay a chunk of change to get my car out of the shop last month. Anyone's help would be appreciated. I'll never get out of the car what I have invested, so I am stuck with it. It drives really good, but things keep popping up that are hard for mechanics to easily solve. I thought I'd try it myself frist, before getting duped again.

Thanks a ton!!

Cam Mack
Hello Cam, I have a 95 Taurus SHO and have the same gasoline smell that your posting speaks of! Could you please let me know what the culprit ultimately was? I have replaced just about every sensor and relay and am about to replace the fuel lines.....until I read your posting and am not sure if the lines are worth replacing......I am really confused and can't afford to spend much more money. Had to have a SHO :)

Thanks, Craig
cratam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Smell of Gas & Suddenly Have Poor Gas Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratam View Post
Hello Cam, I have a 95 Taurus SHO and have the same gasoline smell that your posting speaks of!!! Could you please let me know what the culprit ultimately was? I have replaced just about every sensor and relay and am about to replace the fuel lines.....until I read your posting and am not sure if the lines are worth replacing......I am really confused and can't afford to spend much more money. Had to have a SHO :)

Thanks, Craig
If the lines are definetely leaking or are very rotted then replace them. Otherwise, If there is no visible fuel leaks the you have some sort of leak in the evaporative emissions system. Check the rubber hoses going to and from the purge solenoid for collapsing or dry rot. Check the hose connections at the canister inside of the LF fender (Under trunk floor for FFV cars).
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:38   #5 (permalink)

Hi Cam,

The fuel lines are the slender plastic like lines and they look fine.......can these lines be leaking or releasing smell without actually leaking any liquid? But the smell is so strong near the passenger side shock tower just where the fuel lines are? Where is the purge solenoid? LF fender passenger side or driver side? One last thing, I get a hard start sometimes when the engine is not dead cold.......I replaced the Coolant temp sensor, Timing belt, plugs, CCRM,.....still get the occasional hard start.........wonder if can be related to the gas smell???

Thanks, Craig
Old 04-13-2008, 06:41   #6 (permalink)

Cam,

Oh, I almost forgot, what was causing the smell with your car? Did you ever figure it out?

Thanks again, Craig
Old 04-13-2008, 11:26   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Smell of Gas & Suddenly Have Poor Gas Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cratam View Post
Hi Cam,

The fuel lines are the slender plastic like lines and they look fine.......can these lines be leaking or releasing smell without actually leaking any liquid? But the smell is so strong near the passenger side shock tower just where the fuel lines are? Where is the purge solenoid? LF fender passenger side or driver side? One last thing, I get a hard start sometimes when the engine is not dead cold.......I replaced the Coolant temp sensor, Timing belt, plugs, CCRM,.....still get the occasional hard start.........wonder if can be related to the gas smell???

Thanks, Craig
You'll have to look underneath on the R. side at the lines. The purge solenoid is on the left side below the air box. There are 2 hoses going to it and it has an electrical connector going to it. Check fuel pressure with a gauge. should be 30-45 psi. Leave the gauge on over night. The next morning check the gauge before starting. There should be some residual pressure left. Turn the key on while watching the gauge. It should go right up to 30-45 psi. If there is no residual pressure left and the fuel pressure hardly comes up at key on you may have a bad fuel pump.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007