Some sort of transmission fluid leak? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 16:22   #1 (permalink)

confused Some sort of transmission fluid leak?

2004 Ford Taurus

We were gone for a week and I noticed about one-foot area of red transmission fluid on the garage floor after we returned under the Taurus. Checked the level and it's not bad but when I look down towards the transmission, I noticed some fluid had collected in a spot just below the dipstick. The dipstick was slightly loose. I looked underneath and noticed fluid collecting around the pan. So it was leaking somewhere over a week? Maybe around the pan but the fact I see it just below the dipstick on top tells me it is higher up. Where? Could a slightly loose dipstick not all the way in allow fluid to leak?

A few years back the car was repaired from a minor collision and a hose on the transmission popped off when I was sitting at an intersection. It was towed into the Ford and they indicated a hose had popped loose from the collision. They fixed it and it has been good. Could this be it? Where does the hose come in?
boierlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Some sort of transmission fluid leak?

The best way would be to clean it well and run it to see where it originates from. Fluid can run down and collect in a location that has nothing to do with a leak. There are 2 lines to the transmission that run to the trans cooler. There is an O'ring where the dipstick goes in and that could be it. It could also be several other places.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:53   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Some sort of transmission fluid leak?

I had a trans seal go on my '99. At least it was parked on the street when it happened. Wasn't a bad leak, but I'd be able to drive 20miles before having to add a quart or two of fluid, then another 20miles to the dealer.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007