Sporadic illumination of e-brake light..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 00:22   #1 (permalink)

Sporadic illumination of e-brake light.....

Has anyone had this problem? I have had the car only a few days and have noticed that the e-brake/brake warning light comes on after braking almost every time. Fluid seems to be full. Brakes work fine. No ABS light. New pads in trunk for the front...just in case.
Tried to search forum but apparently do not know what terms to search for intermittent brake-light issues.
Example of problem: I take off out of driveway and accelerate for about 50 feet, apply brakes, get the light. Drive one block and apply brakes, get the light. Next block, get the light. ETC.
E-brake is fully "off". Fluid is topped off. Everything is okay as far as I can figure out. I bought new brake pads just to be sure. Will change ASAP. ABS light is NOT on.
Is this "normal" or does it show a condition that is repairable?
Also, there is a right front headlight that seems to be loose and not attached to anything. Upper radiator support is broken and hood does not open correctly. What parts will I need to correct the issue beyond upper radiator support? Two adjustable pins adjust lay of the hood. They are steel and the support seems to be plastic. Both pins are broken at their mounting points and the right head-light wants to exit the chassis on hard braking because it is not attached to anything.
Have a local wrecking yard within a few minutes of here that has SEVERAL of these cars in the correct color and body style...what parts do I need to raid?
tonyb1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 07:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Sporadic illumination of e-brake light.....

The sensor in the master cylinder is very sensitive. Make sure the fluid is right up there.
Old 02-17-2012, 19:43   #3 (permalink)
canuck

I'd get a headlight assembly. Also check out RockAuto Auto Parts for used parts.

brake fluid reservoir should be fairly close to the top. Even with very worn pads AND shoes, the fluid level should not drop more than 1/3" to 1/2" from full. Brake fluid you can fill nearly to the brim and there's no worry of expansion in the reservoir.

If you have rear drums, it'd be worthwhile to pull the wheels off and do an inspection. A lot of people are terrible for not ordering a new spring kit with new shoes. Old parts once removed and reinstalled can add to the fatigue of that part causing failure in 100 miles or 10,000miles+.

With the brake light on, I'd take it to AutoZone and see what codes they can pull for free and go from there. It might be a faulty sensor of sorts too.

I know when I had a wheelbearing go on my Durango (front bearing), the ABS/brake light both came on at different times. For the Durango at least intermittent brake light coming on meant bad speed sensor.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 19:36   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. It was indeed the front brake pads. They started grinding the next day. All fixed on the brake front for now.
And, 360ci, the headlight assemblies are fine and not broken. It is the upper radiator support that is broken. The headlights bolt to it as well as the hood adjustment pins. It is just a plastic part and I have had trouble finding one used that is any good. Seems they break after awhile due to being brittle.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Pads is normal and inexpensive fix, especially if you can reuse the rotors!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Is that car fitted with pad wear indicators and that was what was triggering the light ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45   #7 (permalink)

Logan, I do not know if the car has pad wear indicators that can trigger the light. Maybe a drop in fluid pressure due to extremely worn pads? They began to make a grinding sound the next day and we shut it down and replaced them right away. Only minor wear on the rotors so I think it will be okay. If it develops a noise or pulls under brake loads in a few days, I will replace rotors. I intend to add drilled and slotted rotors anyway in the future.
The car does have four-wheel anti-lock brakes. I had assumed that the rears were drum but was wrong once I began looking at it more closely.
360ci, your rock auto link was good to me. That part I needed for the lights is called a header bar and only cost about $35.
Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007