Starting system gremlins - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 17:48   #1 (permalink)

Starting system gremlins

I can't get the starter to spin. I have power to the ignition side of the solenoid when the ignition is turned to the start position. I've replaced both battery cables, the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, and what I believe is the starter relay. Also I've had the starter and new solenoid bench tested twice by two different parts houses, and both times was told that it operates within the specified guidelines. Oh yeah, I changed the battery too. Am I missing something, or does anyone have any other ideas, this thing is driving me crazy. The car is a 1992 Mercury Sable.
russ1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: Starting system gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ1967
I can't get the starter to spin. I have power to the ignition side of the solenoid when the ignition is turned to the start position. I've replaced both battery cables, the neutral safety switch, the ignition switch, and what I believe is the starter relay. Also I've had the starter and new solenoid bench tested twice by two different parts houses, and both times was told that it operates within the specified guidelines. Oh yeah, I changed the battery too. Am I missing something, or does anyone have any other ideas, this thing is driving me crazy. The car is a 1992 Mercury Sable.
I would have to say you need a new starter. They can test the electronics part but they cant test the mechanical part. IF your starter isnt spinning then I would have to say the shaft isnt doing its job. I would say get a new starter before you buy anything else. My brother-in-law just had this problem with his focus and he had to get the whole thing replaced.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 19:23   #3 (permalink)

I don't think it's the starter. It makes no noise at all when the ignition is turned, nor does the solenoid click. It doesn't do anything. I can hear a click coming from what I think is the starter relay, but nothing else. I read somewhere that theres a wire that goes into the transmission that sometimes wears, and when it grounds out if causes a "soft start" but I don't know what that is, I've never heard that term before. I also read in a couple of other threads where other people were having the same problem, but there was no advice on what it could be, or how to fix it.
Old 08-03-2004, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

What happens when you power the starter directly from the battery?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:30   #5 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Maybe an ignition module????? My brother-in-laws car would do the same thing. Sometimes it would start and other times it wouldnt do anything....not even a click. Check the relay first and then maybe see about checking the ignition module.

OT....Psycho Chicken......I love the Avatar!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monroe, MI

Old 08-04-2004, 07:03   #6 (permalink)

The relay clicks, but thats it. Where is the ignition module located? I changed the ignition switch, but that didn't fix the problem. I've checked the power to the starter, and when the key is turned to the start position there is power to the spade connector on the solenoid.
Old 08-05-2004, 00:32   #7 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ1967
The relay clicks, but thats it. Where is the ignition module located? I changed the ignition switch, but that didn't fix the problem. I've checked the power to the starter, and when the key is turned to the start position there is power to the spade connector on the solenoid.
Right off hand I am not sure but I am thinking that it may be located around the upper intake somwhere. When you are standing at the front of the car look on the left side (passenger side) for a gray module box. Something like this Now this picture if from a sho but it will be in that general area. If it isnt on your intake somewhere like in the picture then look for a box like that on the passenger side. I am at work right now and I dont have any of my manuals with me. So, I will check in the morning.
Monroe, MI

Old 08-06-2004, 09:17   #8 (permalink)

Okay, I think I found the ignition module, it's up near the distributor. I'm curious though. How does this module relate to the starter system? I thought it is the sensor that monitors crank position etc. I'm at work right now, but I think when I get home, I'm going to run a jumper wire to the ignition spade connector directlly to the battery, through a button type switch and see what happens. Maybe I'll get extremely lucky and it will blow up or something! Thanks for all the help you provided me so far. Russ
Old 08-10-2004, 15:50   #9 (permalink)

I'm having the same problem with my 92 Ranger, 3.0 liter. I've traced the voltage through the starter relay to the solenoid on top of the starter itself. It appears the solenoid is hanging up. This model uses the solenoid plunger to pass voltage on to the starter, as well as engaging the gear. I replaced the cables, tightened all connections, and replaced the solenoid. It starts 4 out of 5 times, then will fail with just a click from the relay. If I hit the starter body with a hammer, it works fine for another handful of starts.
PiedPiper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 21:09   #10 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

I have said numerous times that my brother-in-law had these same exact problems with his focus and it was a bad starter. He had to have the whole starter replaced because they dont make the starters separate from the solenoids anymore. Piper....I would check on pricing a new starter. Russ....I would also do the same thing. There is nothing more I can really tell you or suggest for these problems
Monroe, MI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007