Stuck on p1401 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 14:15   #1 (permalink)

Stuck on p1401

1999 Taurus v6

So heres the deal...check engine lights been on for about 4 years now. (not my car) Keep getting the p1401 code. Car runs and idles fine, just poor gas mileage. I replaced the egr valve and the dpfe sensor to no avail. Light stays off when reset for seemingly unlimited mileage and comes back on when car is restarted. So the question is, where do I go next? Someone had told me clogged cats could cause this but that will likely be the most expensive route or replacement. So any ideas would be much appreciated!!
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2008, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Stuck on p1401

DPF EGR circuit open
VREF short to PWR
Damaged DPF EGR sensor
DPFEGR circuit short to PWR
SIG RTN circuit open
Damaged PCM
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 14:33   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post
DPF EGR circuit open
VREF short to PWR
Damaged DPF EGR sensor
DPFEGR circuit short to PWR
SIG RTN circuit open
Damaged PCM
ok most of that I get except the sig rtn circuit. What is that? And how do I check these things other then looking for damaged wiring? If it were the pcm, seems like there would be substancial other problems, but I could be wrong.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 14:47   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Signal return is the 5v coming back. It will not be 5 volt though but a lesser value depending on the DPFE output. You can back probe the PCM connector or the DPFE connectorand test the voltages with a mulitmeter. Of course you have to know which wire it is. Seldom are the PCMs bad but it does happen.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:23   #5 (permalink)

This might seems ridiculous, but it was a problem i had in trying to fix p0401...when i replaced the sensor, (i'm guessing from metal to plastic, right?) it started throwing p1401. Took the sensor back off and looked it over, one of the elec. connections was bent out of place. Seriously, the easiest fix ever, pliers, or just take the part back under its warranty (24 months @ autozone). Solved my p1401. any suggestions on solving my p0401???? just kidding, already started a post for that.
btlwgn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007