Suggestions for buying a new Taurus? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 23:56   #1 (permalink)
94/04 Taurus

Suggestions for buying a new Taurus?

My wife and I own a 1994 Ford Taurus and have been nothing but happy with it. We also own a 2002 Ford Escape and have so far been very pleased with it, but are looking into trading it in for a newer Taurus. I am looking at the years 2002-2005 because I want to stay in the $8000-$10000 price range. I was just wondering what the reliability of these years has been? I know the taurus had some issues in the 96-99 time frame, but am not familiar with the newer models so any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, just curious as to why Ford has decided to get rid of the Taurus altogether? It seems odd to get rid of one of the best selling mid-size cars of all time. Thanks again in advance!
Jakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2006, 07:14   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Suggestions for buying a new Taurus?

The newest Taurus 2000-2005 models were finally done right and have minimal problems. I say go for it, or get a new Fusion.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Suggestions for buying a new Taurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet Man
The newest Taurus 2000-2005 models were finally done right and have minimal problems. I say go for it, or get a new Fusion.
Word of advice- find one with a 3.0L Duratec engine. It is allot better for power. You would have to practically floor the gas on a 3.0L Vulcan to get the push you get from a 3.0L Duratec at half throttle.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 13:08   #4 (permalink)

Interesting. Between the Duratec and the Vulcan, which one is more reliable? For normal driving (not flooring it), which one gets better mileage?
Which one is easier to work on, service, maintain?

Does the Duratec automatically come with the AX4N tranny?
Tremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 13:39   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakin
Also, just curious as to why Ford has decided to get rid of the Taurus altogether? It seems odd to get rid of one of the best selling mid-size cars of all time. Thanks again in advance!
Here's an old article that might answer your question.Preview: 2006 Ford Futura Fordís 427 concept morphs into Taurus replacement.

Remember at that time when these articles were written the the car was going to be called Futura. After Ford and Pep Boys had their little fight. Ford named it the Fusion.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 18:10   #6 (permalink)

I have an 02 SE with a vulcan. It has little power with the A/C on. I have to turn it off whenever I need any half-decent acceleration, like pulling out into traffic or merging onto a highway. Get the Duratech! I wish I had.
I get 19mpg with a mix of highway and city driving.
taurus guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:50   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

mad Re: Suggestions for buying a new Taurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremo
Interesting. Between the Duratec and the Vulcan, which one is more reliable? For normal driving (not flooring it), which one gets better mileage?
Which one is easier to work on, service, maintain?

Does the Duratec automatically come with the AX4N tranny?
I was not talking about driving like a maniac. From my experience with both engines, the Vulcan takes more effort to get going than a Duratec. Interestingly enough, most things I've heard about fuel economy on these cars is the newer Duratecs actually get slightly better fuel eceonmy even though it is a more powerful engine. All Duratec Taurus/Sables have the AX4N Transaxle. As far as working on them, a Duratec is slightly harder for maintenance but as long as you have the right hand tools and the service manual it is not hard. Overall, the reliability between the two is about even.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51   #8 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

eek Re: Suggestions for buying a new Taurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
Word of advice- find one with a 3.0L Duratec engine. It is allot better for power. You would have to practically floor the gas on a 3.0L Vulcan to get the push you get from a 3.0L Duratec at half throttle.
Forgot one thing, 2001 up vehicles have an 18 gal. fuel tank standard.
Old 07-11-2006, 17:54   #9 (permalink)

The Duratec really was a triumph in engineering over the Vulcan. If memory serves, the Duratec comes with 200 hp, and it seems the Vulcan was in the neighborhood of 160. I live in Jacksonville Florida, which is very flat. I have mixed driving, city and highway. Without AC, I get 26 mpg, with AC I get 22.

I am a little bit of a gearhead, I like to tinker. After I sold my Vette, I turned my attention to the Duratec (BTW, my car is a 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium). Try to find heads for these cars, or performance parts for them. You can't. The reason is they are durable. And Ford did a nice job getting a lot out of the engine. Despite being one of the best selling cars in America, you can not even find a Cold Air Intake that is made specifically for any Duratec engine. My point here is to let you know that any one of these cars with the Duratec engine, that has received a reasonable level of care, will provide you with excellent transportation.

Regarding maintenance, there is almost nothing outside of oil changes that is required. Transmission fluid should be changed out at 60k, plugs and wires at 100k, transmission fluid and filter at 120k. I have 93k on my car and just could not be happier. It looks good, rides well, and fires every time I touch the key. And since there were so many made, prices are reasonable and selection is great. Just ensure you get one with the 24 valve Duratec engine and everything else will take care of itself.
Da Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:48   #10 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: Suggestions for buying a new Taurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Gunner
The Duratec really was a triumph in engineering over the Vulcan. If memory serves, the Duratec comes with 200 hp, and it seems the Vulcan was in the neighborhood of 160. I live in Jacksonville Florida, which is very flat. I have mixed driving, city and highway. Without AC, I get 26 mpg, with AC I get 22.

I am a little bit of a gearhead, I like to tinker. After I sold my Vette, I turned my attention to the Duratec (BTW, my car is a 2001 Mercury Sable LS Premium). Try to find heads for these cars, or performance parts for them. You can't. The reason is they are durable. And Ford did a nice job getting a lot out of the engine. Despite being one of the best selling cars in America, you can not even find a Cold Air Intake that is made specifically for any Duratec engine. My point here is to let you know that any one of these cars with the Duratec engine, that has received a reasonable level of care, will provide you with excellent transportation.

Regarding maintenance, there is almost nothing outside of oil changes that is required. Transmission fluid should be changed out at 60k, plugs and wires at 100k, transmission fluid and filter at 120k. I have 93k on my car and just could not be happier. It looks good, rides well, and fires every time I touch the key. And since there were so many made, prices are reasonable and selection is great. Just ensure you get one with the 24 valve Duratec engine and everything else will take care of itself.
Actually, the trans fluid is supposed to be changed every 30000 mi, not 60000. If you doing the first change at 60000 then you will find the fluid to be very dark and fairly burnt. When I did mine shortly after I bought my car at 34000 mi it was already reasonably dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007