Taken car in to dealer more than 3 times? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2003, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
Car Guy

Taken car in to dealer more than 3 times?

Who in here has taken their car into the dealer for problems more than 3 times???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2003, 04:40   #2 (permalink)

I have for a loud popping noise when turning the steering wheel right or left at low speed such as turning into to a parking lot, Spent about 600 bucks so far. dealer says it is NOT the cv joints. he has replaced a bunch of stuff in the shock tower and steering area. It helped for about a month but its back as loud as ever. It has been about a year now so i guess it aint the cv joints. Just a pain..
gpedens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 13:24   #3 (permalink)
Stormchaser

I had a Chevy Malibu with a Cruise Control issue. It went in 4 times. Couldn't find the problem. May God have mercy on whoever now owns that car. Anyway. If it is NEW you may have Lemon Law protection.
Old 06-21-2003, 13:08   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Taken car in to dealer more than 3 times?

can not say that I have. Of course if you have taken it in more than 3 times for the same issues I would look into the Lemon Law information and proceed with that.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
jesthmess

Try looking for a broken anti-sway bar. Your description sounds like what I had. If you need to replace it, make sure it replaced with the same size or larger. A smaller one will adversely affect handling.

The second guess I have is the front suspension, pre-93 Taurus models did not inculde a shock bushing which eliminates a popping/groaning noise during low-speed turns. Most noticeable during colder months. See the shotimes website for info on that.

Best of luck, even many Ford mechanics forget about the second scenario.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:44   #6 (permalink)

heh I never go to the dealer (unless the car is under warranty)

I try to do whatever I can do myself (which isnt much but I am learning) otherwise I take it to a independant garage.

Dealers are just ridiculously expensive, and their claim for only using "real ford parts" is just silly, casue in many cases 3rd party replacement parts are leaps and bounds better than the ford parts. (for example the wheelhub I just replaced myself. The SKF hub I installed is both better and cheaper than the motorcraft equivalent.)
Zarathustra[H] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:47   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpedens
I have for a loud popping noise when turning the steering wheel right or left at low speed such as turning into to a parking lot, Spent about 600 bucks so far. dealer says it is NOT the cv joints. he has replaced a bunch of stuff in the shock tower and steering area. It helped for about a month but its back as loud as ever. It has been about a year now so i guess it aint the cv joints. Just a pain..
What kind of car do you have?

My folks '98 windstar had that same problem for a while. We took it into a shop to have it looked at, and they had to WELD something on the front part of the frame that was coming apart (I can't remember what it was, but apparently it was bad)

I cant seem to remember exactly what they welded, but I can find out if you are interested.

/Matt
Zarathustra[H] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:28   #8 (permalink)
Unregistered

mad Re: Taken car in to dealer more than 3 times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra[H]
What kind of car do you have?

My folks '98 windstar had that same problem for a while. We took it into a shop to have it looked at, and they had to WELD something on the front part of the frame that was coming apart (I can't remember what it was, but apparently it was bad)

I cant seem to remember exactly what they welded, but I can find out if you are interested.

/Matt
I took my 10-year-old Lincoln into the shop this morning and told the know-it-all mechanic supervisor that my car was making a noise when I turned the wheel sharp right and left like it was the CV joints (been there done that before), and he told me that Lincolns didn't have CV joints. I told him okay, but if he's familiar with that sound, that's what my car was sounding like. He has yet to call me and tell me what's wrong with the car, but I'll bet he inflates the price of 'whatever' to fix it!!! He also told me it could be the brakes! I'm a long way from being a mechanic, but I've heard brakes in need of repair before, and I don't think that's it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007

Related Reading: Taken car in to dealer more than 3 times?