Taurus 1999-No horn, no cruise with airbag light on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 08:17   #1 (permalink)

Question Taurus 1999-No horn, no cruise with airbag light on

my car is Taurus 1999, recently had power sterring Rack and pinion replaced, right after that, the airbag light is on, and no horn no cruise.

what the problem could be and could that be something to do with the replacement of R & P?

I had the replacement at Canadian Tire, they said it's nothing to do with the replacement.

by the way, the remote control for door open/close stopped working a week before the R & P Rplacement.

please help.

thanks a lot!

Merry Christmas to every body!

Norva
norva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 14:27   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Taurus 1999-No horn, no cruise with airbag light on

If the steering wheel was not centered when the rack was put in, turning the wheel will break the clockspring and cause that.
Old 12-23-2010, 15:37   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
If the steering wheel was not centered when the rack was put in, turning the wheel will break the clockspring and cause that.

Thank you Bert for the reply.
do you think the remote control (door open/close and trunk open only) has something to do with the cloclkspring as well?
Old 12-23-2010, 16:51   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

No, they would be a different problem. Do you have more than one remote? You could try reprogramming the remote.
Old 12-26-2010, 15:56   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
No, they would be a different problem. Do you have more than one remote? You could try reprogramming the remote.
Merry Christmas!

Yes I have 2 remote controllers. none of them works, the batteries should be good.

you said to reprogram the remote, how can I reprogram it? or I have to have it done at a dealer?

BTW, I read the Air Bag light today when I started my car, It flashed 3 times and then 2 ftimes. these kind of flashes repeated several times and then the light was on, the check-engine light was on all the time.

Norva
Old 12-26-2010, 16:05   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

I tried as follows, and it works. you are genius Bert!

1 Place your key into your car's ignition and turn it from "Off" to "On" eight times in quick succession, ending in the "On" position (one click short of turning the car on).

2 Press any button on your keyless-entry remote to reprogram it. If you want to reprogram any other remotes, press any button on them as well. You can reprogram up to four additional remotes at this time.

3 Turn your key to the ignition's "Off" position.

4 Wait for the doors to lock and unlock, exit the car and test your remote to see if the reprogramming was successful.

Old 12-27-2010, 17:21   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Bert,

is it hard to replace a clockspring? is it something I can do by myself?

thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 19:41   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They aren't hard to replace if you're at all mechanically inclined. Here's a video on a F150 which is similar. Make sure to unhook the battery for 3 min. before starting the job, set the removed air bag soft side up and make sure the steering wheel is straght ahead when you start.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
They aren't hard to replace if you're at all mechanically inclined. Here's a video on a F150 which is similar. Make sure to unhook the battery for 3 min. before starting the job, set the removed air bag soft side up and make sure the steering wheel is straght ahead when you start. YouTube - Ford clockspring replacement
Thanks Bert. will try it some day.
Old 01-03-2011, 17:48   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, Bert is GREEAT!!! Couple of other points, the horn and cruise control share a common fuse located under the hood. Its a 15A if I remember correctly. It is not one of the large fuses. Again if I remember correctly it is between some relays with about 4-5 others.

You will need a wheel puller to get the wheel off. I made my own using a flat piece of aluminum with three holes. Two of the holes held screws that went into the wheel, the third screwed into the center bolt. Wheel poped right off.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007