taurus 2007 transmission fluid leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 14:29   #1 (permalink)

taurus 2007 transmission fluid leak

hi - I've had a trans leak for a while. It seems intermittent. Sometimes it doesn't seem to leak at all. It seems to be worse when it's hot. Sometimes there's a small puddle and sometimes not! Anyway, at 57K miles, I drained it, cleaned the pan and magnet and put on a new filter just in case that had anything to do with it. It didn't.

Today it was leaking so I took a look. The pan is not leaking. There is a sort of rubber gasket where the trans connects to the engine. It's all on the exterior and it looks like it's held on with 2 plastic screws. I can't figure out what is the purpose of this "gasket". It almost seems like the leak is coming from where one of the "screws" is connected. Seems unlikely to me, but I don't see fluid coming from above. I tried to take off the rubber gasket, but I didn't want to break it and un-screwing didn't work.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas. I'd appreciate any ideas that you have. I attached a picture.

thx,
rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transLeak.jpg (117.5 KB, 3 views)
gwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 15:05   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: taurus 2007 transmission fluid leak

The leak appears to be coming from between the engine and Trans. Have seen quite a few torque conv. seals leak only when hot.this is a good possibility that would require Trans removal to repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Check the coolant level in the recovery tank. I had a 01 Taurus that would leak off and on and turned out I had a small leak in the coolant tank which ran the radiator low enough to overheat the transmission but not the engine. The fluid would come out of the transmission overflow tube toward the left side - rear of the engine compartment (under the master cylinder area) especially on long trips & hot days.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46   #4 (permalink)

thx for the responses! - coolant is rock-solid, but interesting idea. I'm leaning toward a seal problem.

I don't have any experience with automatics. The trans shifts great, no problems. Is it possible that I could just have a new torque converter/seal installed. I'm wondering if it's worth it to just do that knowing that the trans must be removed, or do I go for a full rebuilt trans. I have no idea about the time involved. If you have ideas about what to expect, ball-park numbers, that'd be great. Thx again.
gwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Depending on the labor rate I would say about 7-800 in labor plus the seal and fluid. I would recommend a new torque converter while there for the reason of changed many for stripped out splines that drive the pump. It's a little new for that but still possible. As far as a rebuild I wouldn't personally. I own two Taurus's and both run original transmissions and still shift fine at 150k and 220k. If you decide for a rebuild I'd recommend a ford reman Trans. It would come with a great warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007