Taurus 93 Running problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Taurus 93 Running problems

Hows things been going ford guys? Okay about 3 weeks ago me and my girlfriend drove her 93 ford taurus 3 and a half hours on a trip to see her parents. We drove 2 just fine and stopped at a gas station. We started it back up just fine got not even a mile down the road and it just decides to quit on us. It wouldnt start back up at first. You could give it gas while trying to start it and it still wouldnt start back up it was backfiring through the intake manifold acted like it was getting gas. Just wasnt burning it. After a few minutes we tried it again it seemed to start just fine and idle just fine without giving it any gas. We tried to go down the road but we only got a few feet down the road and it done it again. Just quit. Could this be sensor related. A while back i tried to get them to change the idle air control valve on it because it was having bad idle problems. It would idle bad when you first started it like fast idle then slow down and acted like it wanted to quit but never did it would pick back up to fast idle again and do that for about 5 mins. It did that on ocassion. Sometimes it wouldnt start you would have to floor the throttle pedal and then it would finally start. Any ideas thanks guys. Plus this car has over 200,000 miles on it. The plugs and wires have been in the car for about 20,000 miles.
dann25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 11:18   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Taurus 93 Running problems

Did you get gas at that station? Could be bad gas.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:16   #3 (permalink)

Nope we didnt get gas. Thanks though.
Old 08-12-2008, 00:54   #4 (permalink)

Just have a quick question for you, because I'm trying to track down pretty much the same problem. Were you by chance using your cruise control on your trip? My mom has a 95 Sable that did the same thing on a long road trip, but the garage that the car was towed to couldn't find anything wrong. Someone else suggested that she not use the cruise control for the return trip, and she has not had any problems with it since. Well, with that issue, anyway. I'm thinking something with the fuel pressure, maybe the cruise control is causing too much gas to be sent to the engine. Anyway, good luck.
slycer_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 23:18   #5 (permalink)

Well does the sable stall when you dont use cruise control. Because she wasnt using cruise control. Does your car idle bad when you first start it? Like idle fast then idle slow and act like it wants to quit. I dont think it has to do with fuel problems. We will see soon i will let you know if we find something out. Took it to meineke today to have put on computer and they didnt have a computer to put it on said the car was to old for there computer. Heard that at advance before but didnt think i would hear it at a repair shop as big as they are. They said oxygen sensor. I dont know about that. Thanks guys.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:22   #6 (permalink)

No, when the cruise control is not used, it does not stall. I'm assuming you were talking about the idle air control valve. I've had one of those go out on my 92 Ranger 3.0L. Its funny that Meineke told you your car was too old to be put on a computer. My 92 Ranger has never had any problems being put on a computer for diagnostic. Huh. Oh, well.
I actually got a reply to my issue, and someone said it could be a vacuum issue since the cruise on the 95 Sable was vacuum operated. We'll see. Good luck to you.
slycer_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 21:30   #7 (permalink)

Question Re: Taurus 93 Running problems

The other day i went out and was looking around and was looking for the oxygen sensors. Noticed the one in the back. It was unhooked. I thought that was weird. Well i plugged it up but i didn''t notice a difference at all. Also i unplugged the MAF Sensor when i started it and it was running like I explained in the earlier thread. I plugged it back in and it quit for a few seconds but went back to bad idling. I also notice a few seconds i started the car the air bag light started flashing. It would flash 3 times then 2 times. Then back to 3 and 2. Kept doing that for a while. But i don''t know what that means. Does anybody have a idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007