Taurus Broken Coil Springs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 07:46   #1 (permalink)

Taurus Broken Coil Springs

Hello ............
Has anyone out there had problems with the coil springs breaking on their Taurus/Sable? I purchased a used 2001 taurus with 41,000 miles last November 2004 and found out in December 2004 that the car was involved in a recall concerning front coil springs that can corrode, break and come in contact with the tire causing a blowout and possibly cause a catastrophic accident. I was really pissed to further find out that the recall was issued earlier in the year. I point? The dealer new fully well that there was a recall in effect for the car, with no fix yet available until December or January of 2005. But they went ahead and sold me a car in which I could have had a serious accident with. I tried complaing to the dealer (ALL AMERICAN FORD) in Hackensack, NJ that if there was a possibility that the springs could brak then they should replace the springs. I was told they only thing they could do wwas to install these protective caps to prevent the spring from coming in contact with the tires. Well guess what? THE PROBLEM EXISTS withe the REAR springs as well! Just yesterday I was driving along a local street and heard a loud bang............. Got out looked around, didn't see anything wrong. Got back in my car continued to drive down the block, BANG! My tire blew out! When I changed the tire I saw that the coil spring had broken and the sharp edge from the coil had cut a hole all around a brand new tire. I changed the tire with the doughnut spare (the spare is small enough so the coil spring did not come in contact with it) drove to my Ford dealer to complain. Called FORD CUSTOMER SATISFACTION I was told the recall only applied to the front coil springs! Know what? In my opinion the the covers installed on the front coil springs would never prevent the spring from coming in contact with the front tires. The high tension impact when they break is to great. They are made of PLASTIC. I have read that Ford has had problems with corroding coil springs since 1993. I am considering getting rid of the car. I for one will never ever buy another Ford again.
Rod3126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2005, 13:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: Taurus Broken Coil Springs

WHILE I WAS DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY AT SPEEDS APPROX 55 MPH, MY PASSENGER REAR TIRE BLEW OUT. I PULLED OVER AND PUT ON MY SPARE TIRE (DONUT). LATER THAT DAY I REPLACED IT WITH A BRAND NEW TIRE. WITHIN 20 MILES, THE SAME TIRE BLEW OUT AGAIN. AFTER LOOKING UNDERNEATH I DISCOVERED THE COIL OVER THE STRUT HAD RIPPED OPEN THE TIRE LIKE A CAN OPENER. I contacted Ford and have not heard from them since. Please file a complaint with http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ . maybe if it happens to enough people they will make the rear springs part of the recall.
kristi28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:10   #3 (permalink)

I just had the same thing happen on my 02 Taurus SEL (24v DOHC). Luckily it happened as I was turning into a driveway. They already have a recall on the 2001 Taurus and some other models as well. My guess is that these suffer from the same defect, and will eventually be recalled, but that's not going to save me any money now, and it could have been my life. If anyone has a problem similar to this, PLEASE register a complaint at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ as prescribed above. This will also help you recoup funds if/when a recall happens.

IndianaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57   #4 (permalink)

Same thing happened to me just 2 weeks ago, I am pregnant and had two small children in the car, I was slowing down to go around a curve and a bridge when I heard a very loud bang (klunk) sound, the car seemed to drive OK after this, but I heard a dragging sound. When my husband checked it out, the rear coil broke in half and dug into the tire, causing a big tear around the whole tire. This same tire was less than a year old. The dealer and ford customer service said the recall was only on the front springs, but to keep my receipts from the repairs and maybe EVENTUALLY there will be a recall on the rear coils and we can get reimbursed then. My taurus is a 2000. My father works at ford and called a different customer complaint number, but to no avail, they just took my info and said they would let us know. I'm sure they will have a recall on it the day after we sell it
mnemstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Taurus Broken Coil Springs

Broken springs on 1995 Ford Taurus LX Station Wagon with 88,000+ miles on the odometer. Never towed anything nor hauled any heavy loads. Mechanic stated fatigue caused broken springs. Replacing with variable rate coil springs with air adjustable shocks to improve handling and ride.
Irish1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:00   #6 (permalink)
Unregistered

frown Re: Taurus Broken Coil Springs (REAR)

As of January 2006 NHTSA is investigating the rear coil springs breaking on 2000-2001 Taurus and Sables. Mine just broke and took out a $129.00 Goodyear tire. Well over $600.00 to replace both springs and struts. Most will not replace just the springs because they say they cant recompress the struts. FORD sucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod3126
Hello ............
Has anyone out there had problems with the coil springs breaking on their Taurus/Sable? I purchased a used 2001 taurus with 41,000 miles last November 2004 and found out in December 2004 that the car was involved in a recall concerning front coil springs that can corrode, break and come in contact with the tire causing a blowout and possibly cause a catastrophic accident. I was really pissed to further find out that the recall was issued earlier in the year. I point? The dealer new fully well that there was a recall in effect for the car, with no fix yet available until December or January of 2005. But they went ahead and sold me a car in which I could have had a serious accident with. I tried complaing to the dealer (ALL AMERICAN FORD) in Hackensack, NJ that if there was a possibility that the springs could brak then they should replace the springs. I was told they only thing they could do wwas to install these protective caps to prevent the spring from coming in contact with the tires. Well guess what? THE PROBLEM EXISTS withe the REAR springs as well! Just yesterday I was driving along a local street and heard a loud bang............. Got out looked around, didn't see anything wrong. Got back in my car continued to drive down the block, BANG! My tire blew out! When I changed the tire I saw that the coil spring had broken and the sharp edge from the coil had cut a hole all around a brand new tire. I changed the tire with the doughnut spare (the spare is small enough so the coil spring did not come in contact with it) drove to my Ford dealer to complain. Called FORD CUSTOMER SATISFACTION I was told the recall only applied to the front coil springs! Know what? In my opinion the the covers installed on the front coil springs would never prevent the spring from coming in contact with the front tires. The high tension impact when they break is to great. They are made of PLASTIC. I have read that Ford has had problems with corroding coil springs since 1993. I am considering getting rid of the car. I for one will never ever buy another Ford again.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47   #7 (permalink)

Re: Taurus Broken Coil Springs (REAR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
As of January 2006 NHTSA is investigating the rear coil springs breaking on 2000-2001 Taurus and Sables. Mine just broke and took out a $129.00 Goodyear tire. Well over $600.00 to replace both springs and struts. Most will not replace just the springs because they say they cant recompress the struts. FORD sucks...
you paid $129 for a tire? that's just funny
hectorbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 16:05   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

I just changed a broken rear spring on my '97.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 16:39   #9 (permalink)

id like to know if this recall for rears comes up.

Dave
TT_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:53   #10 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Currently, the recall only affects the front springs. As a Ford mechanic, I have seen the rear springs break and blow out tires. I would hope Ford recalls them soon.

As far as the shields that are installed.....................

They are made of steel and not plastic. The shield will prevent a broken spring from going through a tire since I have seen on 5 occasions front springs breaking after the shields were installed. Ford will still replace the springs free of charge.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007