Taurus Code Scanner plug in location - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36   #1 (permalink)

Taurus Code Scanner plug in location

I am getting ready to purchase an Actron OBD1 code scanner for my 89 Taurus GL, 3.8 engine. Where is the location this plugs in? I think it is under the hood, on the firewall, passenger side, but I have also read it is just to the rear of the alternator, mounted on the engine block. I've also read it is behind the glove compartment. Which is correct?
laflaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 12:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: Taurus Code Scanner plug in location

On the fire wall passenger side. NEVER heard of the other places. WHY are you buying this code reader ? If your buying a $55.00 piece of junk it will only tell you a number. It's
up to you to figure out if this is your problem or did something else trigger the code.
OBD1 is not very precise. They didn't have the technology that the OBD2 has today.
To get that technology and live data stream for yesterdays OBD1 your scan tool will
cost about $3000.00. My OBD1 scan tool ( $2,500.00 on sale ) will give me the factory
codes for the keyless entry on the door touch pad. It also tells me what gear the
transmission shifted in and what RPM at what MPH. If you need it for reference it should
be ok. Read up on it. There is an old saying " rear, read, until your eyes bleed. "
Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:49   #3 (permalink)

Chipset, thank you for the first sentence of your reply, and the two word last sentence. As far as the price, it is $30.00 at Autozone, not $55.00. As far as it being a piece of junk, I guess that's up to me to decide.
Old 02-10-2010, 14:12   #4 (permalink)

not a problem. Glad to help. ( in some way ? ). Thing is what kind of a code reader can
you get for $30.00 ? You can get the same result with an analoge volt meter or watch the engine light flashes in the dash for free.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 14:16   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflaone View Post
Chipset, thank you for the first sentence of your reply, and the two word last sentence. As far as the price, it is $30.00 at Autozone, not $55.00. As far as it being a piece of junk, I guess that's up to me to decide.
Wow!, Chipset was just giving you some info based on his knowledge and experience. (and was still leaving the ball in your court) He even said."If you need it for reference it should be ok" Don't let your youth and lack of experience get in your way of learning.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:32   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Still yet, a cheap OBD1 scan tool is sufficient to get you the code(s), and the forum will help you in dealing with the code(s). That's what its here for
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 15:33   #7 (permalink)

FYI Pep Boys will pull the codes for free. They do charge to tell you what the code means, so if you have a Haynes or Chilton manual you can figure what your code is for free.
ryant35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all of your replys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007