Taurus engine squeek problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 17:55   #1 (permalink)

Taurus engine squeek problem

I have a 1999 Taurus wagon 3.0. I've developed a squeek near where the engine and transaxle bolt in . Its intermittent when the car is idling in either park or drive. At idle increasing the rpms when it is making noise will cause it to go away . When the rpms return to idle it may or may not reappear . The sound would best be describe as a squeeky wheel ,high pitched like chirp or rubbing sound. Its not the serpentine belt or pulleys . I've isolated the sound to a general area described above with my mechanics stethoscope.Has anyomne had this problem or some idea what it could be? The car has 117000 but runs like a top with no other problems.

Thanks for any help you can give
ED
EddyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2005, 16:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: Taurus engine squeek problem

replace your serpentine belt. You can get a generic brand for about 20 bucks
montangrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 14:55   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyJ
I have a 1999 Taurus wagon 3.0. I've developed a squeek near where the engine and transaxle bolt in . Its intermittent when the car is idling in either park or drive. At idle increasing the rpms when it is making noise will cause it to go away . When the rpms return to idle it may or may not reappear . The sound would best be describe as a squeeky wheel ,high pitched like chirp or rubbing sound. Its not the serpentine belt or pulleys . I've isolated the sound to a general area described above with my mechanics stethoscope.Has anyomne had this problem or some idea what it could be? The car has 117000 but runs like a top with no other problems.

ED
ED,

Do a search for chirping for much more information. There are at least 8 posts detailing problems with camshaft sensor chirping.

Now for my solution.......I just finished fixing the camshaft sensor chirping.....I hour ago!

My car is a 2002 Sable GS 3.0 183 c.i.d., nothing special motor. I read similar problems here and was able to locate my cam sensor. On my model, it was just below the throttle linkage on the motor. A plastic cover sheilds the linkage.

Another post on here said the cam sensor cover could be removed and lubricated with Liquid Wrench. He said the wiring harness could be held out of the way with a screwdriver.

I used a prybar and broke the sensor cover. The sensor cover was fused to the plastic wire trough from heat, friction, or glue from the factory, so I would have broken it anyway. $25.00+ from my local Ford dealer. NAPA had one for $19, but 2 day delivery.

I don't know your mechanical ability, but if I had it to do over again, I would simply drill a 1/8' hole in the sensor cover side, taking care to not drill more than just through the black plastic cover. White lithium spray grease comes with a little red tube like WD 40. I would spray into the hole with the red tube about 1.5 seconds and start the motor for results. If that was enough, I would mix 5 minute epoxy and plug the hole taking care not to get any inside the sensor cover!! THIS IS HOW I WOULD DO IT AGAIN, BUT WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW, YOU probably should take the 2 hours or so and remove the sensor cover.

I have nothing but praise for this site and the people/advice posted here. If I sounded negative about breaking the sensor cover, I repeat, I would have to seperate it from the wire trough anyway, and I see no other result than eventually replacing it.

The other threads posted here are dated 23-03-2003, 06:51 starting with a guy called TOM under "2000 Taurus 3.0 Crank/Cam Sensor Noise". Other people posting were SHOZ123 and easternmike. Both these guys were a great help in my fixing my car by myself. Find the above mentioned threads and even a diagram posted by SHOZ123!

Best of luck!!!
RX7Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 15:12   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyJ

ED
ED,

Guess I should add the Dealer Service Rep said "We always replace the whole assembly and never just lube it".

I think parts alone would be in the $200.00 range.

Best of luck
RX7Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007