Which Taurus should I look for to buy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 13:03   #1 (permalink)

Which Taurus should I look for to buy?

Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying a Taurus soon and I am not sure whether to get the wagon or sedan. Are both pretty much the same as far as reliability and I am sure you guys can tell me which year was better than another. I'm looking to spend about $4-5k

I work at a ford dealership so I can more than likely get the one I want but I want someone's opinion who has owned Taurus and know a lot about them. The people here at the dealership are great I just what a second opinion.

Thanks
CincyFordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 19:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Which Taurus should I look for to buy?

The sedan and the wagon have all the same components and engines. There isn't much difference at all, except for the body type. My only advice is to avoid anything pre-1996, simply because there have been many problems with the trasmittions. If the care you're looking at has a 3.0L engine, you can expect it to run forever. If I were you, I'd pick the care that looked the most appealing to you and has the least milleage
montangrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 15:36   #3 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyFordman
Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying a Taurus soon and I am not sure whether to get the wagon or sedan. Are both pretty much the same as far as reliability and I am sure you guys can tell me which year was better than another. I'm looking to spend about $4-5k

I work at a ford dealership so I can more than likely get the one I want but I want someone's opinion who has owned Taurus and know a lot about them. The people here at the dealership are great I just what a second opinion.

Thanks

the wagon is the only version that has 4 wheel disc brakes. That's a plus for stopping power.

T
2001 & 2003 sedans
Old 01-17-2006, 09:34   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Which Taurus should I look for to buy?

Try to go with at least 1999 and up- you dont really need 4 wheel disc brakes on it- since mid 1999 and up sedans have disc/drum brakes with or without ABS. My 2001 Taurus SEL has ABS and it stops just fine. Also, go with a 3.0L Duratec engine. There's nothing really wrong with the 3.0L Vulcan but the Duratec has much better power. Happy Hunting!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 14:52   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, all.

I found a 99 wagon with only 75,000 miles on it for $4500 not to long ago but I was 2 days too late.
CincyFordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26   #6 (permalink)

What wrong w/ the older ones/
92 gl. 3.6, 4 wheel disc ABS brakes. stop on a dime.
Power everything.
115.000 miles.
Few electrical glitches, little trant leak. besides that its, been very dependable.

And wuill buryt the speedo needle ...now.!! still gets it, may need a tranny tuning in the futer , but besides that.
Smoothblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 16:40   #7 (permalink)
94/04 Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothblue
What wrong w/ the older ones/
92 gl. 3.6, 4 wheel disc ABS brakes. stop on a dime.
Power everything.
115.000 miles.
Few electrical glitches, little trant leak. besides that its, been very dependable.

And wuill buryt the speedo needle ...now.!! still gets it, may need a tranny tuning in the futer , but besides that.
I seccond that. I have a 94 GL with 144,000 miles. The only thing needed except general maitnance has been a starter and a new lever for the lights/windshield wipers. It has been a very good car. I see that your original post is a bit old. Hope you found what you were looking for:)
Jakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 15:05   #8 (permalink)

I'm with you guys on the older ones, I run a 93 SHO MTX with 174000 and it is still going strong with no major problems except its on its 3rd clutch, 1 at 50000 and 1 at 150000.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 17:52   #9 (permalink)

If you get a Gen 3 ('96-'99) fork over the extra few hundred for one with the duratec engine as it comes with the much better AX4N transmission as well as an extra 50 hp.
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 18:14   #10 (permalink)

Get a wagon.
elsmacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007