And thus the fun begins - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 12:53   #1 (permalink)

And thus the fun begins

Just got the 97 Sable last night, and the first thing I noticed was the Air Bag light was on. Searched here and found the codes list, and counted flashes. Looked at the list, and now I'm confused. It flases once, then pauses, then flashes 4 times, pause, 4 more, for a total of 10 times, then stays on. I know you have to break that down, but none of the codes adds up to 10. Unless of course there are multiple problems, and it's spitting out more than one code.
Any thoughts?
Ayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 14:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: And thus the fun begins

That sounds like code 44. If it is that might mean " Right hand radiator primary crash
sensor not mounted to vehiclle properly ". Maybe. Have it scanned.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 15:14   #3 (permalink)

Boy, my math was off there.

I have to get a scan done anyway, as the SES light is on as well. I know someone with access to a scanner, so I'll get that done. Good to know, at least.
Thx for the input.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:01   #4 (permalink)

Found a few more minor issues:

1: The hazard lights dont work, so I suspect a bad flasher module. Is this a "special" unit or a universal type? (I had a Concrode that had an "All in one" that was expensive, or hard to find at the junk yard
2: DRL's don't work. Possibly a fuse or bad DRL module.
3: Front windshield washer doesn't work. Possibly bad pump or fuse. Wipers don't come on when I push the button. I havn't added fluid, yet. Should get this fixed first, with winter here.

These are things that could make the car fail it's next inspection, due in June '11, so I have time to fix them. (assuming , of course, the car lasts that long)

4: No CDDJ installed, however, the radio has all the controls. Is it possible to get one off a junked car and install it in the proper place? There is a spot in the rear right where it is normally, but I haven't checked for the wiring yet.
5: Using the tape deck to plug in the mp3 player is out, as the deck spits out the adapter. Any way around that, other than installing a new audio system? That's a PITA on these cars, as I understand. Not impossible, just difficult for the DIY'er.
6: Power antenna is stuck 1/2 way up. I can hear the motor running when I turn the car off, so that's not a problem. I have been told you can get an aftermarket mast.

I am planning on picking up a Haynes (or Chiltons) manual for the car soon, but though I would ask here, in case someone has any ideas.
Old 12-18-2010, 14:46   #5 (permalink)

Well, a little update:
Got the hazards working, seems the switch was just gummed up.
The washer now works, just have to hold the button in, and your tounge in the right place in you cheek.
DRL fuse was missing, replaced it and the DRL's came on fine. Only problem is, they're on all the time, even with the ignition off. Pulled the fuse again. It's probably a bad module.

Now for more fun, Had a flat today, and while changing the tire, I noticed the shock was shot, the upper shield was pretty much non existent. I suspected at least one was bad, just by the ride. Very rough over bumps, which there are a lot of around here. Guess a new pair is in order soon.
Also have to get a new tire, 'cause the original was ruined driving around a parking lot, trying to find a spot to change it. :(
Hope this thing doesn't turn into a money pit on me.
Old 01-02-2011, 19:48   #6 (permalink)

Update:
Got the tire fixed, and got the codes read.
PO136
PO141
PO161
Looks like they're all O2 sensor problems. Nephew erased the codes, but that only lasted a day, LOL. Of course, on the way home, one of the fuel tank straps came loose and was dragging under the car. I managed to hook the loose end over a cross brace for now, so I don't dare put more than $10 in the tank.
Old 01-02-2011, 22:00   #7 (permalink)

thats a bit of bad luck you are having dont you guys need to have the car checked for safety issues before he can rego them in your name.

We do i australia some states you have to do every yyear.
things like the air bag light the shockies and emission codes would all be a safety issue.

Ian
goldie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 14:29   #8 (permalink)

Well, I'm back after some computer issues, where I lost the link to here, and just today, found my way back.
Every province in Canada has it's own rules for pre-registration safety inspections Here in NB, if a vehicle is sold for $1000 or less, it has to be inspected 30 days prior to sale. There is a way around that, however, by having a receipt made out for over $1000. You have to pay tax on that amount. (can you say "Tax grab?")Whether the vehicle has, in fact, passed inspection is up to the owner. If not, and you drive it anyway, and get caught with an expired or out of date rejected sticker will net you a $172.50 fine, and possibly removal of the vehicle. A safety inspection has to be done each year, for the current fee of $25. If the vehicle fails, they put a rejected sticker on it, good for 14 days, during which time you are not supposed to be driving the vehicle unless going to a repair shop, or for re-inspection. (There are ways around that too, but not quite legal. )
I know in Ontario, all vehicles sold must pass safety certification, but once passed, they don't require it again until the vehicle is resold. However, as I understand the laws in ON, if you are involved in an accident with an unsafe vehicle, you face very steep fines, so it's up to the owner to maintain the vehicle in a safe condition.

Anyway, on to the latest issue. A few days ago, I noticed a loud noise when the engine fan came on, and today it was real bad, and the heat was messed up, so I took a look. Both fans are off their mounts, and just hanging there. I did manage to get one back in place, more or less. The other is till hanging because I can't get the fuse box out of the way enough to get the bolt out. I had to wedge the fan casing in under the pipe that goes from the power steering pump to the steering rack. Not quite in the right place, but it's still there. Still having heat issues, though. If I turn the heat to vent for a second, then back to defrost, I get some heat for a while, but then the engine temp rises to about 1/2 - 3/4 up the gauge, then the heat falls off, and the temp gauge goes back to normal. I can't readily tell how much antifreeze is in the tank, because it's yellowing. I might be able to tell after the car cools down, and put a stick in the tank.
I also had the battery crap out on me during cold snaps (>-20c) had to get a boost. I think the battery is dying on me as well.
I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think I should just junk it, or sell it for parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007