Ford Forums banner

Tips on getting stabilizer link loose

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnny Mullet 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have a '97 Taurus GL 3L 137K miles.

My passenger front stabilizer link lower knuckle is worn out where it connects to sway bar. I can get the top off, but am struggling to get the bottom off, partly because it is in such a tough spot. I have just enough room for my 18mm socket and 1 foot braker bar, but can't get the car high enough for the proper torque.

Does anyone have any tips on getting that lower knuckle loose?

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Johnny Mullet said:
At the Dealer, we usually torch them off when they are stubborn.

Use a 6 point 8MM wrench on the small part and an 18MM wrench on the big nut. Good luck.
If you have a die grinder, you can cut a slit in the nut then try taking it off. Otherwise, heat is the only way left. KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER OR WATER HANDY WHEN TORCHING THE LINKS!!!

#6 ·
All,

I do have a good quality angle grinder, but I read I may need a metal cutoff wheel. Couldn't hurt to get an extra in case I dull one. I have a good fire extinguisher and can position some thin metal in the way to protect boots, etc. It looks like there is ample room to get in there also.

So what is the best way to cut this thing off? Cut the bolt/nut head off where there is more metal and less room but if I'm unsuccessful I still have a drivable car; or try to cut at the joint, hope I can drive the bolt backwards and potentially make the link too weak for the car to be undrivable?

Thanks for all the good ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.