Tire question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41   #1 (permalink)

Tire question

As I mentioned in my other post, I had a flat on Saturday, and the tire got wrecked, so I need to replace it.(Right rear) I have another tire/wheel available, but it's a slightly different size. Mine are P205/65R15's, and the other one is a P205/70R15 winter on a slightly different rim.
Assuming the rim fits, would it be O.K. to use for now, until I can get a proper replacement, or would it be better just to use the temporary spare? I won't be able to get a new tire for a couple of weeks, at least, so my thought was to use the other tire, if possible.
The other wheel is from a Pontiac, and has a non round center hole, almost 5 pointed. I am also aware of the possibility of the offset being wrong as well, and not fitting over the rear calipers. If it won't fit physicaly, I won't force it.
I don't know anyone here that will switch out the rims, either. Most major auto repair comanies don't/won't do that unless you buy a tire from them.
Thanks for any input.
Bruce
Ayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 10:01   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Tire question

You've got to be very careful with swapping wheels / tires like you're suggesting .Can cause all sorts of problems i.e ABS can be affected .If it's going to take that long ,can you not get a replacement from a scrap / breakers yard to tide you over ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24   #3 (permalink)

Thank's for the input.
I've been checking around, and as I suspected, all sources advise against it. Oh well. Guess I can try to trade it on Kijiji for one that's the right size, or just keep the donut on for now. No highway driving for a while, which might be a good thing, considering the state of the shock.
I don't think it's totally shot, but it's not too far off. Every bump feels like it'll shake the car apart.

BTW, how difficult is it to change rear shocks on the wagon. I can see the mounting bracket is closed in, so getting a wrench in there is nigh impossible. Will it require removal of the interior panels, or does it unbolt from the bottom?

Oh, just noticed, I posted @ 10:41, and the reply was posted @ 14:01.
Old 12-21-2010, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
sixshooter

Like Logan said; the abs CAN be affected. Key word; can. It might not be affected and the tire size is so close, I think you should give it a try. I don't think you'll have a problem because it is not a driven wheel; remember the fuse can be removed to disable abs. while you're running the other tire. Who really needs abs??
Mike
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 21:24   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It might not have an affect on the ABS. Here's where you can check the differences. Tire size calculator
Old 12-22-2010, 05:03   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the additional input.
I should have mentioned this car doesn't have ABS. The spaces for the relay and fuse are there, but I can't see any contacts for either. (I also tested the brakes on a snowy spot in the driveway, and got no ABS "feel" ) If I don't find a good used tire soon, I might try it anyway, for the time being.

As far as my shock question, I noticed the access panels in the back, so that question is answered.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Well that solved the possible ABS problem!!!!!! As for " Oh, just noticed, I posted @ 10:41, and the reply was posted @ 14:01. " Spooky !!!!!!!!!!
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
canuck

On modern all wheel drive cars I can see difference in tire diameter being a problem, as it can affect more than ABS systems. however, running the 70 series tire at 8psi under the rest should easily make up for the diameter difference but economy will suffer due to the added rolling resistance/drag.

I know my '99 gave me some problems with the rear suspension. After some attempts (mostly stopped due to rust and lack of air tools) I drove it into the dealer to change out the front and rear suspension components a few years ago. At the same visit, the dealer replaced the front coil springs as per recall/TSB issued by Ford.

Shops will change out a tire on a rim for you even if you don't buy the tire there. They just charge an extra $5, so it might be in the $20-25 range instead of $15-20 if you had bought tires from them and the mounting wasn't included in the price of the new tire.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 19:15   #9 (permalink)

If I get a break in the weather tomorrow, I'll give it a try. The difference is minimal.

Stock tire
Sidewall: 5.2"
Radius: 12.7"
Dia.: 25.5"
Circ.: 80.1"
Revs/mile 791

New tire
Sidewall: 5.6"
Radius: 13.1"
Dia.: 26.3"
Circ.: 82.6"
Revs/mile 767

If the rim goes on O.K. it should be no problem for now. Won't be able to afford new tires 'till after the New Year, and I think that temp spare could make things worse for the shock, being pumped up to 60PSI.
Old 01-02-2011, 19:39   #10 (permalink)

Problem solved, bought a new tire @ Wally World for > $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007