Toed In Rear Wheel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 12:38   #1 (permalink)

Toed In Rear Wheel

Hey all. First time poster. I noticed this past weekend that both of my rear springs had, at some point, just snapped in half (my front ones blew last year =/). To save some money, I bought two quick-strut assemblies and, with the help of my trusty repair manual, my buddy and I replaced the old ones by ourselves. My problem is that my rear passenger side tire now seems to be slightly toed in. It’s not straight with the body of the car and points in roughly 4-5 degrees. It took a lot of banging, pulling, and a few swear words to get the old struts out and the new ones in and now I’m wondering if we knocked something out of place. Everything seemed to go back together correctly. We torqued everything down.
So:
1.)Will a wheel alignment help me, or do I need to get something fixed first?
2.)My repair manual gives a torque range instead of a specific number (ie 35-45 ft-lbs). We went middle of the road on everything, but could this somehow be the issue?

Any thoughts, comments, or prayers would be appreciated.

2002 Taurus
3.0L DOHC
62,000 Miles
Derj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 15:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: Toed In Rear Wheel

You need a 4 wheel alignment after any strut replacement. A MUST DO. Even if your
rear wheels look perfect after the repair they are not. Do not let them tell you we
align the rear wheels with the front. BULL S. Take it some place else. If your front wheels
are out your rear wheels will be out and your car will go down the road sideways like a crab. If you can get a 4 wheel alignment for 40 bucks don't go there. A 4 wheel alignment, a proper one with shims will cost about $80.00 or more. Your car doesn't use
shims so it might be about 80.00. NO suspension work is complete without a wheel alignment. Do not drive it very long like that because your belts in the tires will shift. They should have been rotated at least 3 times by now. Good luck.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 18:26   #3 (permalink)

Re: Toed In Rear Wheel

Thanks chipset, I appreciate the info.
Derj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007